Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anywhere in LA to rent a Model 3 (or Y) that's NOT peer to peer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anywhere to rent a Tesla Model 3 or Y in the LA area that is NOT a Turo type deal? I would rather go via a big known rental company instead of some peer to peer service. I'm sure those are fine, but I'll be doing a week long rental in late October and just don't want to deal with meeting someone somewhere, maybe someone backing out, etc.

(Mainly shuffling back and forth a couple times between Disneyland Hotel and Universal Hilton but at weird hours)

Enterprise supposedly rents Model S in certain markets but I could not find them offering Model 3 or Y.

edit: Tesla Rental | Rent a Tesla from Sixt rent a car - Sixt Car rental

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Don’t know if it’s the usual story but I just did an 8 rental (a Leaf - couldn’t afford/justify a Tesla since I wasn’t doing much driving while there) on Turo in Orlando and it was a great experience. The owner had a fleet of rental cars including Teslas and ICE vehicles plus his background was in the rental industry so he came highly recommended as a host and had no reports of last minute cancellations.

Turo has cleaning protocols and touchless delivery options (I still wiped down surfaces but it was spotless inside and out). For a fee (like everything), some hosts will drop it off in an airport parking garage and you either pay to get out or they include it in a toll transponder kind of deal.

Unfortunately, it takes a little time to pickup and drop off because you have to take photos of the vehicle both times but, on the plus side, that ensures evidence of condition while it’s in your possession. The other issue is that, like with any rental agency and peer to peer deal, the prices fluctuate wildly based on demand.

It sure would be nice if the big rental companies with loyalty programs and multiple locations would get on board with EVs but, apparently, the average renter swaps for an ICE within a day. Of course, that study is old and will certainly change.

Enterprise supposedly rents Model S in certain markets but I could not find them offering Model 3 or Y.

edit: Tesla Rental | Rent a Tesla from Sixt rent a car - Sixt Car rental

Bit of a bait and switch on the Sixt site. Browsed the fleet and their only EV is the Jaguar I-Pace; not available in LA or Orlando.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Ya, both of those big guys that pop up when you search for Tesla rental don’t seem to actually offer it… or at least not in the LA market.

I would LOVE for some company to start up like Silvercar did. Just one brand and model of car, a Model 3, maybe all white (cheaper) as the gimmick or something. Then make it super dead simple to rent (as touchless as possible), and priced well. (If silvercar can do ~$65/day for an A4 someone should be able to rent Model 3’s for around that price, maybe $85/day).

I suspect they would be wildly popular in certain large markets and who know, maybe Elon ends up acquiring them years down the road when FSD can act as the robotaxi and this company could fill in the backend rental systems and locations.

I’ll probably fall back to Silvercar but boy do I like my Tesla and the navigation is 1000 times better than Audi.

Enterprise and National do rent Teslas in certain markets, and you’re more likely to find one at airport locations. I rented a Model 3 from Turo for the first time (still have it), and it’s worked out well. The owner gave me access via the mobile app, which I doubt the national rental chains would do.

Anywhere to rent a Tesla Model 3 or Y in the LA area that is NOT a Turo type deal? I would rather go via a big known rental company instead of some peer to peer service. I'm sure those are fine, but I'll be doing a week long rental in late October and just don't want to deal with meeting someone somewhere, maybe someone backing out, etc.

(Mainly shuffling back and forth a couple times between Disneyland Hotel and Universal Hilton but at weird hours)
Funny you saw that (specifically the non P2P part of it) - I have had a similar idea that I am trying to build out. I am trying to figure out what and why customers are looking for a service like this. @acarney would you be open to a short 15-30 min zoom call to talk about your experience? Not here to sell anything - just want to understand your motivations.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m posting this here in case someone does a search on this topic. I rented a Model 3 from Gateway Rent A Car for a month. Jason Kennedy couldn’t have been easier & nicer to deal with. I had app access so it was just like being in my own car.

Reactions: Need
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m posting this here in case someone does a search on this topic. I rented a Model 3 from Gateway Rent A Car for a month. Jason Kennedy couldn’t have been easier & nicer to deal with. I had app access so it was just like being in my own car.

Actually cheaper than Turo.