Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AO Accessory Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, while I had ordered some accessories from Abstract Ocean prior to actually having my Model 3, it's been a week and a half now, and I finally got around to getting some installs done.

I got the recent revision of the Matte finish screen protector. Installation was even easier than the video made it out to be (possibly because my car is still new enough that there's not much dust flying around the interior). It took longer to cut the tape sealing the kit than it did to actually install. I really like how it cuts down on the glare, and the screen's tendency to accumulate fingerprints is much less pronounced. I also got their cleaning spray slash microfiber wipe, and it does a nice job for what it is. I still probably ought to stash a proper microfiber cloth in the car's copious storage though.

I also opted for the Matrix Black vinyl wrap for the center console storage lids. I was genuinely expecting this to be more of an ordeal than it was, and I was also pleasantly surprised to see that they threw in, unannounced, a matching wrap for the console around the USB ports for the rear seats. A neat treat- though that piece was actually the hardest to install. It might've been easier if I'd taken the time to move the front seats forward, but that's just hindsight. I really like the look of the Matrix Black wrap- it looks even better in person than it did on AO's site and videos.

AO shipped quickly, everything arrived packed nicely, and I'm looking forward to getting the rest of my kit installed. I didn't think things through spectacularly well, and apartment living doesn't lend itself to installing new puddle and footwell lights, which are next on my list alongside the brighter lights for the trunk.

Reactions: pete8314
Agree 100%. Got both the same things as you did. Screen protector and Matrix console wrap. Both perfect, so I figured I’d try my hand at the matching Matrix window switch and door switch wraps. Utter nightmare to install, so I’m out $45 since I’m too ham-fisted to do it properly. Oh well.

Agree 100%. Got both the same things as you did. Screen protector and Matrix console wrap. Both perfect, so I figured I’d try my hand at the matching Matrix window switch and door switch wraps. Utter nightmare to install, so I’m out $45 since I’m too ham-fisted to do it properly. Oh well.
I had exactly the same worries about the window switches. As the working area gets smaller, I increasingly have the manual dexterity of a butterfly with a palsy, so I'm not even going to make the attempt on those. But I think it's fair to expect that actual buttons and controls will have the occasional fingerprint.

I did also get the door-opening-icon button overlays, also from AO. I was pleased they had a 'window' for the ambient light to shine through; amusingly I still had to explain to a couple people the concept of a pushbutton door. Not shown on most reviews of the door button stickers is the fact that they also come with two "hazard" symbol stickers that you can place on the emergency release lever.

I like the look of the Matrix Black wrap enough that I might -- might -- try my hand at the steering wheel wrap.

Did you use up the spare kit as well? Happy to send another set if you're feeling up to it, but yes, especially around the door button, it's a bit challenging.

I had exactly the same worries about the window switches. As the working area gets smaller, I increasingly have the manual dexterity of a butterfly with a palsy, so I'm not even going to make the attempt on those. But I think it's fair to expect that actual buttons and controls will have the occasional fingerprint.

I did also get the door-opening-icon button overlays, also from AO. I was pleased they had a 'window' for the ambient light to shine through; amusingly I still had to explain to a couple people the concept of a pushbutton door. Not shown on most reviews of the door button stickers is the fact that they also come with two "hazard" symbol stickers that you can place on the emergency release lever.

I like the look of the Matrix Black wrap enough that I might -- might -- try my hand at the steering wheel wrap.
FWIW, as the guy that creates all the vinyl templates, the steering wrap is the one I'm happiest with. They're all good, obviously :), but that one just worked out really well from the start. Normally I easily get to version 25+ before I'm happy with it, but didn't even get into double figures with that one :)

FWIW, as the guy that creates all the vinyl templates, the steering wrap is the one I'm happiest with. They're all good, obviously :), but that one just worked out really well from the start. Normally I easily get to version 25+ before I'm happy with it, but didn't even get into double figures with that one :)

Well you've done good work. I may well give the wheel wrap a try, given that; that's encouraging to hear. I know what you mean about revision proliferation.

This weekend, I think, I'm going to have a proper go at the interior and puddle lights, and leave the presumably easier trunk lights for last.

Wow, I appreciate the offer. I did use up the spares. They were perfectly cut and I’m sure would have looked great if I could have gotten them on properly. I doubt I have the dexterity required though. I blame no one but myself. Another (nameless) company is now selling molded plastic carbon fiber-look overlays for these areas. If only someone made a Matrix pattered, non-glossy version...

Yeah, we've looked at the molded covers, but the weird bit that holds it all together and drops down into the gap, looks, well, weird. Rule #1 is we'll only sell stuff we like, and that didn't pass our sniff test. We do have the molded decals for the door button area, I just don't have them on the site yet, but those are carbon fiber. Easy to fit though.

Reactions: DopeGhoti