TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AOL Lies about EVs

Discussion in 'News' started by efusco, Mar 11, 2010.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

WARNING: Read at your own risk, I will not be held responsible for broken computer monitors, seizure activity, disturbed neighbors or kicked dogs when you finish reading this!

Point/Counterpoint: The 7 High-Voltage Lies About Electric Vehicles

2. Alfred

Alfred Member

Good questions

Formulated a bit apodictically, but nevertheless questions worth pondering a bit. What he perhaps overlooks is the general difficulty in forecasting the evolution of technology. Battery prices e.g. are already falling much more rapidly than predicted less than a year ago. Forecasts beyond about 10-years are highly speculative in this type of technology. The "inertia" of battery assembly and control electronics" is relatively small: new factories can be built in a few years and new semiconductors emerge routinely out of the same cuisine in short intervals.

The "demonstration effect" of the Tesla Roadster is also noteworthy and has drawn some comments from auto industry exponents. Their fear that consumers might hold back some purchase decisions is not unfounded. The economic dip has aded some pent-up demand and it is difficult to separate that from an eventual "electric-hype delay-effect".

Of course some tightenig of crude supplies is foreseeable too. The last price hike has been noted and is firmly in the heads of many prospective car buyers.

Take all this together and I would just not want to be too certain what could possibly happen in even 5-years time. Of course the fleet will not be replaced instantly, who could only pay for that, but a lot is possible that we do not judge correctly today. Many car industry managers know that their troubles might not be over just as yet. Remember the transition of the Swiss watch industry? Today it is again in good health, but electronics did cost within a few years some 80'000 jobs at the time.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

apodictic
    : expressing or of the nature of necessary truth or absolute certainty

Love learning new words.

4. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

From TFA:

They're only off by a factor of 100. Why can't anyone do math anymore? It's about 0.009 percent; still small, but not as ridiculous as they make it sound.

Not that this is the only problem with the article of course. Sheesh. :)

5. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

So much is clearly wrong with that article that I think they are just trolling for page views in order to pump up their ad revenue. Do not feed the trolls.

He'll look like a fool in about 18 months, but you really can't argue with these people, so what's the point.

6. Tdave

Tdave Member

Another way to look at it: There are about 40 vehicle brands sold in the US. That's an average 260,000 vehicles sold per brand.

Telsa sold 0.3% of the average.

7. Tdave

Tdave Member

This article is also disingenuous because of the way it specifically phrases each one. Here, let me add to the list of lies about EVs:

- EVs are lighter than traditional ICE cars
    - EVs work equally well in all climates
    - EVs will single handedly save the planet
    - EVs are good for the future of this company

8. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Another thing I'd like to point out is that Tesla is currently only marketing and selling the Roadster. Obviously there aren't that many people that can afford a $100,000+ two-seater. Because of this I'd say 0.3% of the average is actually really good.

With the Model S' predicted first or second year numbers (~20,000?) that will mean Tesla increases it's sales to just under 10% of the "average". Obviously lots more people can afford ~$50,000 sedans, especially nearly maintenance-free ones such as the Model S.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

We have had conversions here about how many cars Ferrari and Lamborghini sell each year (I believe is was about 2K) But I also wonder about dealerships. Teslas store count VS Ferrari dealership. When do they catch up? How many Tesla store have closed? I have seen more than one exotic car dealership fold.