Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aotearoa charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Tēnā koutou. We're trying to plan ahead for moving to NZ in a year or so, where we hope to buy a Model Y to replace our beloved Model 3 here in the US. I'm trying to get some clarity on charging Teslas in NZ, and I'm hoping someone can explain. I know the plug in the car there is different from what we have in the US (A Tesla-specific plug), but what is it exactly? Is it the same as the CCS used in Europe? I've seen pictures of some NZ Superchargers with two charging cables, an unknown sight here. Does that imply two different plugs?

And then what about non-Tesla brand charging options? Are there other compatible DC fast chargers? Slower compatible chargers (like what here at least is called J-1772)? I see the Supercharger map limits where we can go around the country, so we're interested in other options.

Thanks for any wisdom!

Reactions: CAM3RON
Model Y isn’t available for pre-order here yet, but might be available by the end of this year perhaps?

in terms of SC’s not a lot but we have a company called ChargeNet that has fast-chargers pretty much covering the length and breadth of the country (some gaps, like the West Most of their chargers are 50kw but there are a couple of 300kw chargers built or being built now. Their chargers usually have 2 plugs - CCS for Tesla or ChaDeMo for older EVs like Nissan Leaf.

Tesla SCs come with 2 plugs too - one CCS and one Tesla specific for older S and X.

hope that helps

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC
Tēnā koutou. We're trying to plan ahead for moving to NZ in a year or so, where we hope to buy a Model Y to replace our beloved Model 3 here in the US. I'm trying to get some clarity on charging Teslas in NZ, and I'm hoping someone can explain. I know the plug in the car there is different from what we have in the US (A Tesla-specific plug), but what is it exactly? Is it the same as the CCS used in Europe? I've seen pictures of some NZ Superchargers with two charging cables, an unknown sight here. Does that imply two different plugs?

And then what about non-Tesla brand charging options? Are there other compatible DC fast chargers? Slower compatible chargers (like what here at least is called J-1772)? I see the Supercharger map limits where we can go around the country, so we're interested in other options.

Thanks for any wisdom!
Model 3 charge ports in Australia and New Zealand come with the European style port.
V1 and V2 Tesla Superchargers come with 2 charging cables, one with a CCS2 plug and the other with a Type 2 or Mennekes plug for Model S and X. This looks like a CCS2 port but with the two large lower connector holes removed.
The latest V3 Superchargers are only fitted with CCS2 plugs and Model S and X owners can purchase an adapter to allow them to use CCS2 chargers of any brand.
Here is a picture of a European Model 3 plug, NZ is the same.
Model Y has not gone on sale in Australian /New Zealand yet but it’s imminent as type approval was granted in Australia this week so I expect the same has happened or is about to happen in New Zealand.
1632187727580.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Plugshare app will show you the locations of both free and paid chargers in NZ
including destination and superchargers
You just need to change plugshare filters to show Tesla supercharger, CCS and Mennekes (Type 2)
You can also see the NZ supercharger locations on the Tesla supercharger map

• Helpful
Many thanks to all! This is very helpful info.

Yep. We know the Y isn't released in NZ yet. But INZ hasn't released us yet either--we hope the timing works out in our favor. And if it doesn't, we might buy some beater of an old ICE car to hold us over, while we get reacquainted with driving on the other side of the road. ;)

A couple of you mentioned Mennekes, a name I'm not familiar with in the US. I gather it's different from our J1772. Does it plug directly into the socket (maybe just the upper part) in @meloccom 's photo, or do we use an adapter?

I'm glad to see my old friend Plugshare covers New Zealand. Have you kiwis found it accurate? Just playing with it now, I noticed two odd things.
  1. When filtering for plug types, Mennekes is not one of the choices.
  2. When I look at, say, the Hastings or Wellington Superchargers, it shows they have only the proprietary Tesla plug, like we have in the US--not a CCS.
Thanks for all the input! It's reassuring to learn we can get more thoroughly around the country than it first appeared from just looking at the Tesla locations.

Some of the free AC charges are bring your own cable
Plugshare normally indicates this
They will require Mennekes (Type 2) male to female cable

Debatable if its worth it, it would take a lot of free charging to recuperate the cost of the cable :)

• Informative
You can get some very cheap home charging options depending on where you live.
That's the plan, unless we start out renting where that's not an option. What's the typical home charging outlet for an EV? Here it's a thing called NEMA 14-50, but I suspect that's a US standard. It's a 240V 50A outlet (though often put on a 40A breaker since a Model 3 won't pull more than 32A anyway).
1632351387545.png

That's the plan, unless we start out renting where that's not an option. What's the typical home charging outlet for an EV? Here it's a thing called NEMA 14-50, but I suspect that's a US standard. It's a 240V 50A outlet (though often put on a 40A breaker since a Model 3 won't pull more than 32A anyway).
View attachment 712910

Your options:
8 amps via standard plug socket using mobile charger (end included)
15 amps via standard 15 amp plug socket using mobile charger (end included)
16 amps via caravan plug outside using mobile charger (end extra)

32 amp on single phase via wall box (tesla gen2/3 charger or other type 2 box).
48 amp on 3 phase if you have it (same as above)

• Informative
Your options:
8 amps via standard plug socket using mobile charger (end included)
15 amps via standard 15 amp plug socket using mobile charger (end included)
16 amps via caravan plug outside using mobile charger (end extra)

The 15A heavy duty socket will give you 12A when charging due to the 80% rule. Just like the 10A socket gives you 8A. The 16A IEC 60309 blue plug ("caravan"/"commando" plug) will give you the full 16A as it is rated for continuous loads.

32 amp on single phase via wall box (tesla gen2/3 charger or other type 2 box).
48 amp on 3 phase if you have it (same as above)

32A (7 kW single phase or 22 kW 3-phase) is the regulatory limit on a domestic AC charger installations. Model 3 will only go up to 11 kW (16A 3-phase) anyway.

Last edited:
The 15A heavy duty socket will give you 12A when charging due to the 80% rule. Just like the 10A socket gives you 8A

This has changed for the most recent socket adapters in AU (and I assume NZ). Which will provide nameplate 10A (2.3kW) and 15A (3.5kW).

(The 80% rule is only a US thing).

Note that the adapters are marked 10 10A whereas the older versions were marked 10 8A.