TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aoxin Ibis EV sedan from China

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by JohnSnowNW, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Looks more like a Buick...
    quioewqviguhm53qnluf.jpg
    [​IMG]

3. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

Oh China! lol...

It's a Model S stacked on a giant bed of batteries, the lower pictures truly show it! Sure, the grille resembles a Buick, but EVERYTHING else is ripped straight out of a Model S.

I give this my thumbs down!

4. bluenation

bluenation Member

see, what'd i tell you guys ;)

5. bigez1

bigez1 Member

6. eepic

eepic Member

7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

It doesn't really look that similar to me. I'd say a Ford Fusion is more of a Model S imitator than this ugly duck.

8. Airwolf

Airwolf Member

I wonder what the price will be and when it is available.
    It does look like a Ford Fusion or Chrysler 200. Ugh!

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

New 285 mile EV from China - More bad news for Tesla?

The Aoxin Ibis is Chinas answer to the Tesla Model S | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

Yes, it's hideous.

No, it can't touch Model S performance

But... it has a competitive range, will likely be priced far below Model S in China, and it will enjoy a bevy of EV incentives that Tesla cannot because Tesla has not partnered with a Chinese manufacturing company. Until they do, they will be locked out of most EV incentives in China. Does this spell more trouble for Tesla in China? I hope Musk has a B-plan. The Model S is apparently not luxurious enough for the affluent Chinese and it's too expensive for everyone else. In 2014 EV sales in china tripled while Tesla floundered. This new car cannot be making Tesla's prospects any better.

If the Ibis can offer at least 200 miles of range at speeds normally driven on Chinese roads, and it appears that will since it is rated at 285 mile range, then this could become a big headache for Musk. What do the forum members think?

10. Thumper

Thumper Member

Probably not vaporware. It looks like it has potential to sell well in its market. It is difficult to say whether it will merely help expand EV awareness and thus help Tesla or manage to be a competitor. I predict it will be helpful in the long run, as a stepping stone into a Tesla for those who can't afford a Tesla now but will want one later.

11. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

It's China. The range esitmate is likely untrue. It also has no brand awareness like Tesla, no one will buy it.

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#12 AmpedRealtor, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    I don't think Tesla has much brand awareness in China. I'm hoping to discuss the impact of the Ibis on Tesla's prospects in China, not other markets.

13. dan1000

dan1000 New Member

Of course, the devil is in the details of everything from fit/finish to safety. But I think the "look" of the car is quite acceptable.

14. 1208

1208 Active Member

#14 1208, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    If its cheap enough I would be interested in getting it. On a totally unrelated note, anyone know where I could get a tesla car badge, p85d lettering and a tesla s nose cone from... ? :wink:

15. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I see Buick in the design. The company logo looks suspiciously like the Tesla logo however. Haha:biggrin:

16. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Psst... Copy watch.
    :rolleyes:

17. morbot

morbot Member

Not sure why people keep thinking new EVs coming to market would be bad for Tesla. Pretty sure Elon WANTS to turn the entire market to electric cars.

Given, what Elon wants in terms of saving the world might not be the best thing for the business entity that is Tesla, but if every manufacturer went EV tomorrow, it's not like Tesla would fade away. Tesla has a reputation, a brand recognition of innovation and technology, a nationwide supercharging system... Plus they also have a huge head start of several years over anyone just joining the EV game.

18. cwave1

cwave1 Member

That logo looks like it is try to include a hidden Tesla logo. Is there a message here? :smile:

19. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I don't know if that's true. I think the market for Teslas in China is targeted at the wealthy even more so than the US. For them it's more of a status thing. Amongst that subset of the population Tesla is fairly well known.

20. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

1) Didn't the original article about the Ibis say 285 km, not miles?
    2) Based on comments from Chinese and English websites, the vehicle is not perceived to be similar to a Tesla, but is rather perceived to be closer to a Buick.
    3) Is this vehicle safe? Is it being built with the help of Tesla? Who is developing the software for the vehicle?
    4) When will the Ibis be available?
    5) Would a mid range vehicle named after a strange looking bird really compete with the Model S, an American made vehicle considered to be the best high end sedan in the world?
    6) What will the Ibis cost?