Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aoxin Ibis EV sedan from China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if that's true. I think the market for Teslas in China is targeted at the wealthy even more so than the US. For them it's more of a status thing. Amongst that subset of the population Tesla is fairly well known.

Problem is that Tesla is not impressing that subset of buyers who can afford the Model S. Those buyers demand luxury that Tesla is not offering at that price. Remember that Chinese owner who smashed the windshield of his Model S because of a delayed delivery? Those are the types of mentalities that Tesla has to deal with in that affluent market. Now there is going to be an EV in China that rivals the Model S in range. Granted, it's not as nice of a package, but it will appeal to those less affluent types because it is likely to be priced well below Model S.

Tesla is a little bit stuck in China - between affluent buyers who can afford the Model S but who dislike its lack of luxury amenities, and those in lower income brackets who might love a Model S but cannot afford it. Then there is the issue of Model S not qualifying for the majority of Chinese EV incentives. Tesla already had sizable obstacles to clear in China before the Ibis announcement. I can't imagine this makes Tesla's job any easier, and my larger point is that there don't seem to be many customers in China for Model S. The affluent dislike it because it lacks luxury, and nobody else in China can afford it. At least that's what I've read about Tesla's troubles in China.

Recent and uncorroborated reports indicate that Tesla sold only 10 cars in China last month. At the same time, EV sales in China have tripled in the last year.

- - - Updated - - -

From Jalopnik:

"Range is claimed to be 285 miles or more than 320 miles if kept to an average speed of 60 km/h."

This Chinese Electric Sedan Isnt A Tesla Knockoff At All, You Guys

Last edited:
Problem is that Tesla is not impressing that subset of buyers who can afford the Model S. Those buyers demand luxury that Tesla is not offering at that price. Remember that Chinese owner who smashed the windshield of his Model S because of a delayed delivery? Those are the types of mentalities that Tesla has to deal with in that affluent market. Now there is going to be an EV in China that rivals the Model S in range. Granted, it's not as nice of a package, but it will appeal to those less affluent types because it is likely to be priced well below Model S.

Tesla is a little bit stuck in China - between affluent buyers who can afford the Model S but who dislike its lack of luxury amenities, and those in lower income brackets who might love a Model S but cannot afford it. Then there is the issue of Model S not qualifying for the majority of Chinese EV incentives. Tesla already had sizable obstacles to clear in China before the Ibis announcement. I can't imagine this makes Tesla's job any easier, and my larger point is that there don't seem to be many customers in China for Model S. The affluent dislike it because it lacks luxury, and nobody else in China can afford it. At least that's what I've read about Tesla's troubles in China.

Recent and uncorroborated reports indicate that Tesla sold only 10 cars in China last month. At the same time, EV sales in China have tripled in the last year.

- - - Updated - - -

From Jalopnik:

"Range is claimed to be 285 miles or more than 320 miles if kept to an average speed of 60 km/h."

This Chinese Electric Sedan Isnt A Tesla Knockoff At All, You Guys

If that fat heavy vehicles gets better than 170 miles (real world)...I'll strip naked an run around my neighborhood.

I actually won't do this...the last time I did this in public the gf (now wife) got rather upset. Point stands that I suspect the numbers to be HIGHLY overstated.