TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP 1.0 COST to ACTIVATE

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jae001, May 15, 2019.

1. Jae001

Jae001 Member

I am looking to buy a non-CPO Model S from a private party. The Model S is a 2015 with the AP 1.0 hardware installed but the Autopilot is not activated. Does anyone know the current cost to activate autopilot 1.0 on a used Tesla? The owner does not know and of course I can't find the cost from Tesla's website or by calling them. Thanks.

2. azred

azred Active Member

#2 azred, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    When you say you can’t find out by calling Tesla, just be aware you often are talking to new employees. You won’t find any 20 year vets who know everything. If you tried a Service Center, try calling another one. If a SC is nearby, go down there and have a face to face chat. I have found that sometimes the best way to get info is to call the head shed in Fremont, although I do recall educating two employees there on some topic they probably should have known.

As an owner of two Teslas and many interactions with their staff, I will summarize my experiences as being very positive. The energy, friendliness and enthusiasm of their mostly young, inexperienced employees more than offsets the fact they often don’t have ready answers to some pretty basic questions.

This board has lots of great info, but for the question you are asking I wouldn’t trust that advice. You need Tesla to give you the answer, even if it requires some digging. Face to face chat is much better than a phone call. You don’t need an appointment for that.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Jae001

Jae001 Member

Thank you for the info Azred. I am new to dealing with Tesla and now with all the layoffs it is very difficult getting good info out of them. That is why I turned to the board here. I just wanted an approx. figure. I have heard $3,000 to $3,500 to do this and just wanted to narrow it down for negotiations.

4. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

After buying the vehicle and gaining app/MyTesla access, the option to upgrade should be available online for $3000 + tax as appropriate.

5. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

The private party can just log in to their account and tell you what the cost shows for them?

6. Jae001

Jae001 Member

The private party did not know how to check that and I didn't want to take their phone and do it. Also I have been to a few car dealers in the area and they didn't have any access to that.

Fox mentioned above it is $3,000 plus tax so I will go with that as I have seen that figure before. I am sure it has not gone down. That is an advantage to buying the car directly from Tesla.

Thank you for the info guys.

7. 1ton

1ton Member

Mine is also showing at $3k.
    AP + FSD = $11k

8. Jae001

Jae001 Member

Thank you for the info and confirming the pricing.