Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 1.0 COST to ACTIVATE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to buy a non-CPO Model S from a private party. The Model S is a 2015 with the AP 1.0 hardware installed but the Autopilot is not activated. Does anyone know the current cost to activate autopilot 1.0 on a used Tesla? The owner does not know and of course I can't find the cost from Tesla's website or by calling them. Thanks.

When you say you can’t find out by calling Tesla, just be aware you often are talking to new employees. You won’t find any 20 year vets who know everything. If you tried a Service Center, try calling another one. If a SC is nearby, go down there and have a face to face chat. I have found that sometimes the best way to get info is to call the head shed in Fremont, although I do recall educating two employees there on some topic they probably should have known.

As an owner of two Teslas and many interactions with their staff, I will summarize my experiences as being very positive. The energy, friendliness and enthusiasm of their mostly young, inexperienced employees more than offsets the fact they often don’t have ready answers to some pretty basic questions.

This board has lots of great info, but for the question you are asking I wouldn’t trust that advice. You need Tesla to give you the answer, even if it requires some digging. Face to face chat is much better than a phone call. You don’t need an appointment for that.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info Azred. I am new to dealing with Tesla and now with all the layoffs it is very difficult getting good info out of them. That is why I turned to the board here. I just wanted an approx. figure. I have heard $3,000 to $3,500 to do this and just wanted to narrow it down for negotiations.

The private party did not know how to check that and I didn't want to take their phone and do it. Also I have been to a few car dealers in the area and they didn't have any access to that.

Fox mentioned above it is $3,000 plus tax so I will go with that as I have seen that figure before. I am sure it has not gone down. That is an advantage to buying the car directly from Tesla.

Thank you for the info guys.