TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP 1.0 vs AP 2.0 Functionality Tracking

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by napabill, Aug 30, 2017.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Is there a thread anywhere that tracks the relative functionality currently in place for each hardware suite? I currently have AP 1.0 and will be looking to upgrade to a new MX, but am concerned that the AP 2.0 functionally is still trailing behind AP 1.0. And of course, now we have AP 2.5 to consider.

• Like x 1
  2. mrkisskiss

mrkisskiss Member

It's such a moving target that any such thread would be out of date within two weeks. There is a thread on the Tesla forums that attempts to track AP2 progress - I agree that a similar thread would be good here, but it's hard to get definitive answers when there's so many firmware versions flying around and the minor improvements to auto-steer are so subjective and context dependent.

As of 2017.32.6, the differences from AP1 are:

- No auto/rain-sensing windscreen wipers
    - All objects are displayed as cars on the dash/IC - we don't have separate graphics for trucks, motorbikes, pedestrians or cyclists although the system does appear to "see" them (just not represent them on the dash). They are only displayed in a single lane, except during lane changes (as opposed to seeing representations of the cars around you in all lanes on highways with AP1). There is no evidence to suggest that the car doesn't see them - it just doesn't display them to you on the dash.
    - Speed limit signs are not read by the cameras, instead they are pulled from the map data.

Functionally speaking, AP2 is now the same as AP1 in terms of actual driving features. As of this FW version (17.32.6), AP1 is still slightly smoother and reliable in all situations, although it's very close now - especially on the highway. Phantom braking (a sudden deceleration underneath some bridges, overhead signs etc) seems worse on AP2 - most people have experienced it at some point - but it can happen on AP1 as well. It is improving.

Bottom line: unless you're bothered about seeing trucks/bikes on the dash and having rain sensing wipers, there's not a lot in it these days. I wouldn't let it put you off upgrading your MX.

If you order a new MX today, you'll probably get the new 2.5 radar and redundancy processors etc. What difference this makes in practice is almost impossible to tell at this stage (presumably not much)

3. napabill

napabill Active Member

Appreciate your reply and was exactly what I was looking for. My MX lease still has a year+ to go, so won't be needing to make any decisions for a while. Hopefully our M3 will arrive towards the end of the year so will have some hand's on experience with that.

4. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

My advice -- for what it is worth, hey-o! -- is to spend time with an EAP car personally. The reports from owners differ wildly. My own experiences have been dreadful.

5. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

I believe a lot of people would disagree with that.

The level of confidence AP1 instills in you is significantly higher than that of AP2. Ghost braking is just one of the things, following phantom lines for example is another. With AP2 you simply have to keep paying attention a lot more at this time.

• Like x 2
  6. mrkisskiss

mrkisskiss Member

Oh, I definitely agree with you - AP1 gives you a different, more confident feeling... but AP2 (in my experience) is no longer bad enough to purposefully avoid upgrading the rest of the car at this stage (in my opinion, of course!)

7. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

+1AnxietyRanger. I never get the nags or hold wheel with my AP2 because for fear of it misbehaving I hold the wheel tighter than when I am driving. Still a long way to go....bye I am officially 5 FW revs behind now. Even after calling Tesla to inquire why AND having open investigations into AP2 / TACC issues. Kinda throws a WDGAF vibe from Tesla right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like x 1
  8. jlarmstr

jlarmstr Member

I have only driven an AP1 car for a short while (loaner during a service), I do think AP2 is still behind AP1. However, I started driving AP2 cars shortly after they were launched, and the rapidness of the improvements in stability is very apparent. I would venture to say AP2 is within 80-90% of that of AP1 at the moment (i.e. following distance, smoothness of lane changes, coming to stop in stop and go traffic and so forth), totally subjective assessment so don't read too much into it. However, it is clear that AP2 is behind AP1.

• Like x 1
  9. napabill

napabill Active Member

Thanks for the report. Now all you have to do it repeat monthly for the next 12 months!;)

10. tescroft

tescroft In Musk, we trust.

AP2 is in production cars for almost a year now. Tesla is really acting borderline here by not delivering features like rain sensoring for such a long time. First, I was pissed getting an AP1 car in september 2016, right before the AP2 annoucement/production launch. Now I've to say I am happy that I got an AP1 vehicle, as the system is still superior to AP2 one year later and it does not seem that AP2 will significantly surpass AP1 in my personal ownership of the car. While it is a wise desicion to kick out Mobileye from a strategic point of view, it is not for customers in the short term.

For me, a reason to switch to AP2 or AP2.5 would be when AP2 is able to drive safely and speed-adjusted through freeway construction work sections hands-free. That would enable me to drive almost my whole commute hands-free. In my impression, the AP2 production software is still quite some time away to be able to do level 4 highway driving.

• Helpful x 1