Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 1 browser useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2016 Tesla last year and the browser has always been beyond useless. It does not classify as a browser. It classifies as a case of mis selling to me. But then maybe mine is just particularly useless. Did the MCU1 browser ever work as a browser that could be used - ie not take forever to do anything before getting itself confused? Or was it just a sales gimmick? I really can't stand things that do not work!

• Funny
Reactions: Gvardaman
I bought my 2016 Tesla last year and the browser has always been beyond useless. It does not classify as a browser. It classifies as a case of mis selling to me. But then maybe mine is just particularly useless. Did the MCU1 browser ever work as a browser that could be used - ie not take forever to do anything before getting itself confused? Or was it just a sales gimmick? I really can't stand things that do not work!
My 2015 S under version 7.x was usable, but frustratingly slow. You could use it check flights (or TMC) while in the cell phone lot at the airport, or maybe (maybe!) use it to check out the make/model of an exotic car you just saw while you were waiting at the next stop light. So yeah, it kind of worked a little.
Nowadays, it's not worth the frustration.

Can’t get any website to load on Tesla Model S AP1. Most of the sites say, we will support the browser etc..do you guys know if there are any plans to support browser, YouTube etc..

Google for infotainment upgrade.

You’ll be able to buy an upgraded MCU in the near future which will give the same browser experience as a new car. It’s being rolled out to hw2.5 cars which have prepaid for full self drive and are located in the US now. There is a phased plan for all other cars to receive the same offer a bit later, though it has been pushed back a bit. The downside is you will lose all radio, AM, FM and XM, however almost nobody uses it, so generally that’s been well recieved. Consensus is that it’s very much worth the cost and I have seen zero complaints about the results. I’m very much looking forward to it, but I’m in Canada, so not eligible yet.

I assume you never purchased a DVD stereo for your automobiles in the past?

This won’t make him happy, but his real choices are:

1) pay $2500 to upgrade the browser to something great.
2) pay $2500 after his original browser fails, but end up with the same slow crappy version.

seems like an easy choice.

MCU1 will fail. Period. And when it’s dead, he will have no upgrade path, only replacement with another MCU1 or part out the car. With no climate control, likely no ability to charge, no windows, no navigation, no stereo, perhaps not even turn signals, the car will be a paperweight.

I don’t like it either, but that’s the real situation. Pretending otherwise is just foolish.

I suppose a third possible option would be to have someone replace the memory in his original MCU, but again, seems silly to spend money to maintain slow and crappy.

This is more like changing a timing belt than a stereo.