Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 1 what am I missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I missing some self driving features available on newer models? My 2016 with AP1 is wonderful. The only annoyance is having to tug at the steering wheel every so often.
The car is coming up on 4 years and 50,000 miles. The extended warranty was purchased. The local service center has fixed every issue quickly. My plan is to keep it until the warranty expires in 4 years unless there is a compelling reason to get a new X.

• Funny
Reactions: X Fan and KerryOH
...The only annoyance is having to tug at the steering wheel every so often...

That doesn't stop with Hardware 2.0, 2.5, and currently 3.0.

So if you think switching to new hardware to stop that, that is not the reason.

I expect that will stop when the program will graduate from "beta" status and implemented in Robotaxi with absolutely no driver in the car! However, I am not sure when will that happen!

...My 2016 with AP1 is wonderful...

If you are happy with it, then you should stay with it.

...Am I missing some self driving features available on newer models?...

1) Auto Lane Change is much more reliable than AP1's. When I manually turn on the lane change blinker, AP2 and above can detect and abort the lane change signal when it sees a speeding car from far away that is not in the range of AP1's sonars.

2) I love Navigation on Autopilot that switches to the correct freeway interchange and automatically exits. That's because if I talk in person or on the phone while I am driving, I often miss the exits. No more with NOA and I can do all the talking I want!

Am I missing some self driving features available on newer models? My 2016 with AP1 is wonderful. The only annoyance is having to tug at the steering wheel every so often.
The car is coming up on 4 years and 50,000 miles. The extended warranty was purchased. The local service center has fixed every issue quickly. My plan is to keep it until the warranty expires in 4 years unless there is a compelling reason to get a new X.

I know this wasn’t your question but I see you’re in MA - Are you not having any range issues?
My 2016 P90D MX gets a range of about 130-140 miles in the winter, even with weather in the 40’s and driving judiciously on the highway.

I know this wasn’t your question but I see you’re in MA - Are you not having any range issues?
My 2016 P90D MX gets a range of about 130-140 miles in the winter, even with weather in the 40’s and driving judiciously on the highway.
I do have some range issues but don’t think they are as severe as you are stating. I don’t spare the heat or acceleration. The other day the car seemed to use 100 battery miles for 80 odometer miles. My 90% trip charge is 221.
Tomorrow will be cold and I’ll take accurate readings on a 100 mile trip and report back.

I do have some range issues but don’t think they are as severe as you are stating. I don’t spare the heat or acceleration. The other day the car seemed to use 100 battery miles for 80 odometer miles. My 90% trip charge is 221.
Tomorrow will be cold and I’ll take accurate readings on a 100 mile trip and report back.

Thanks - would be good to know if it’s just my car that’s trying to drive me nuts.
My battery usually goes down 40% doing about 44 miles (my daily commute) - and it has been a killer.
i’ve given up looking at the reported miles as never find it to be accurate.

That doesn't stop with Hardware 2.0, 2.5, and currently 3.0.

So if you think switching to new hardware to stop that, that is not the reason.

I expect that will stop when the program will graduate from "beta" status and implemented in Robotaxi with absolutely no driver in the car! However, I am not sure when will that happen!

If you are happy with it, then you should stay with it.

1) Auto Lane Change is much more reliable than AP1's. When I manually turn on the lane change blinker, AP2 and above can detect and abort the lane change signal when it sees a speeding car from far away that is not in the range of AP1's sonars.

2) I love Navigation on Autopilot that switches to the correct freeway interchange and automatically exits. That's because if I talk in person or on the phone while I am driving, I often miss the exits. No more with NOA and I can do all the talking I want!
Navigation on autopilot sounds like a significant improvement. Thank you for replying
What kind of wheels do you have? The 22"s are known to eat into the range quite a bit...
Standard 20”

I have an 2016 AP1 X and an 2018 AP2.5 model X. The AP1 car is missing;

1) Navigate on Autopilot
2) All around cameras, so will not abort lane change if car is speeding up behind (which has given me the occasional scary moment)
3) Does not detect crossing traffic (I have had to take over to avoid collision, while AP2.5 would stop automatically)
4) Less reliable at keeping lane if markings poor
5) DashCam
6) Sentry mode

AP1 does reasonable good job at lane keeping and changing, but AP2.5 is clearly better. At present I do not see any difference between Autopilot on my AP2.5 X and my AP3 model 3, but sure will as the software develops

It appears that the range is 175 miles from a 100% battery with heat on and 500 pounds in the rear

We have both a AP1 X and a AP3 3. AP3 seems to handle more situations and does it with more confidence.

However,

When AP3 fails, it seems to do it randomly. Phantom braking and failing intersections where it once was doing fine is scary because you can never be complacent with AP3. AP1 you train yourself to know where it has trouble, and accept the fact that the car will never be able to handle those parts of the road, and be ready to take control during those sections. I actually prefer predictability over constant updates because I know where I can trust the car vs. being constantly ready to take over.

The AP updates don't seem to be prioritizing keeping behavior the same, but making AP3 better for all routes. This is great overall, but not really applicable to me as most of my driving is done on the same set of highways/roads and I can't trust AP3 to consistently handle the routes I take on a daily basis. At least not without a few strange looks at me from passengers when AP3 randomly decides to brake.