Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious - is AutoPilot Version 1 expected to improve at all with future software updates, or is this pretty much as good as it is going to get? I know AP2 is improving, and is required for future full autonomous driving, and that AP1 will never support that. I have a 2014 with AP1, and I am very pleased with it, I was just wondering if AP1 has really any room for any significant future improvement at all?

The MobilEye EyeQ3 chip that’s inside every AP1 car certainly has more potential. Like reading traffic lights and detecting pedestrians much better than today. I think Tesla could do more, SW wise.

Yet something tells me adding new features to AP1 isn’t high on Teslas priority list.

Still, I think we can expect minor / gradual improvements as time goes by. Wrt maps, component firmware, radar maybe.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Just curious - is AutoPilot Version 1 expected to improve at all with future software updates, or is this pretty much as good as it is going to get? I know AP2 is improving, and is required for future full autonomous driving, and that AP1 will never support that. I have a 2014 with AP1, and I am very pleased with it, I was just wondering if AP1 has really any room for any significant future improvement at all?

I just got the 50 upgrade before Christmas, and I could swear autopilot Works a little better. There are a couple spots I go through regularly that it handled much better than it has in the past. Who knows, they might send us some love!

Reactions: preilly44
I just got the 50 upgrade before Christmas, and I could swear autopilot Works a little better. There are a couple spots I go through regularly that it handled much better than it has in the past. Who knows, they might send us some love!
I do think the fleet learning aspect does trickle down, so intersection handling, etc. appears to continue to improve (generally, though I've seen a couple of retro-grade steps over time too).

Ha. That's interesting. After the .50 update I feel like AP1 is in "Drunk Driver" mode again with quite a bit of lane ping-ponging and left lane hugging. Who knows! Still the best car out there that I know of

Reactions: Dax279
murphy , if car doesn t see lines ... if u can guess where road is the car can't and will never ( APx.. ) but try with another car just in front of u
looks like autopilot reacts much better( i tried multiple times this )

murphy , if car doesn t see lines ... if u can guess where road is the car can't and will never ( APx.. ) but try with another car just in front of u
looks like autopilot reacts much better( i tried multiple times this )
Actually, it is precisely the opposite. Upon cresting a hill, if it is still tracking lane lines, steering becomes very unstable and the car darts back and forth. If it loses the lane lines (just a plain grey road on the ICD), it will crest of the road nicely.

I do think the fleet learning aspect does trickle down, so intersection handling, etc. appears to continue to improve (generally, though I've seen a couple of retro-grade steps over time too).

It is my sincere hope that you are correct, but I have not seen a lot of evidence of it. Except in the slowing down for Curves thing. That might be true. Then again, why is it missing sometimes?

It is my sincere hope that you are correct, but I have not seen a lot of evidence of it. Except in the slowing down for Curves thing. That might be true. Then again, why is it missing sometimes?

My wife has the MS most of the time - so my experience of AP1 is intermittent. Like seeing someone every day, vs. meeting them for the first time in a while - I perceived an improved experience most times I use it for a while. I tend to drive the same roads where AP is appropriate, so I know it's quirks - and they are, for sure, improved.

Now I live in Colorado, which seems to have a pretty high number of MS/MX compared to many places other than CA ... so it might be there's a decent amount of fleet info to act upon.

The remaining issue I have with AP1 over AP2 is the 'wiggle' as it crosses larger intersections and gets it's bearings again - that's the one AP behavior which was notably better in the loaner MX100 I had the other week.

Of course YMMV ...

Reactions: henderrj
I am surprised to read you guys are trusting AP 1 to go through intersections or streets that have houses at the end. Perhaps my expectations are a lot lower than yours, but I only expected it to function on freeways with good lane markings. It didn't even occur to me to try it elsewhere.

Brave souls, you are! ;)

I am surprised to read you guys are trusting AP 1 to go through intersections or streets that have houses at the end. Perhaps my expectations are a lot lower than yours, but I only expected it to function on freeways with good lane markings. It didn't even occur to me to try it elsewhere.

Brave souls, you are! ;)

Not so much residential areas, in fact almost never. It's generally the business areas with well-marked roads. And,you are correct, it really only works well on the highway.

Brave souls, you are! ;)

I'm not. In fact I don't remember at any point where Tesla claimed that AP1 (in its current state, which I guess will basically be its final state) was intended for anything but freeways and divided highways. I would never use it "in town" on urban/suburban surface streets (well, OK I did try it once, but realized I was too worried about things like pedestrians, etc. that it might not handle right, so I turned it off).

(FWIW, I've used AP1's autosteer since day 1 of general availability.)

Bruce.

I do trust AP1 to get me across an intersection if traffic is reasonably heavy and I'm following another car. When it loses the lane markings, it latches onto the car in front, which turns blue on the display. As soon as the lane lines resume, it starts using those again.

Still holding out hope that AP1 will eventually get the ability to "manage complex intersections, with traffic lights, stop signs, and roundabouts." Maybe, someday. (Of course, AP2 doesn't have that either, AFAIK.)

Reactions: ModelX and Dax279
After driving a brand new Model S loaner with AP2 for over a 1,500 mile road trip with the family, I'm just personally glad to have my AP1 2016 Model S back for daily use, with its "limited" features. I don't care what anyone says... AP2 (even on recent firmware 2017.46.9) is NOT ready for primetime.

Heck, even when only using a feature that is common and functional on other cars from other manufactures, namely adaptive cruise control, was outright dangerous on the AP2 car. IMHO, I wouldn't even consider it viable "public betaware" in its current form on AP2. I've never driven a car from any manufacturer where the adaptive cruise control kept braking on the highway after incorrectly marking a car in another lane as being in my lane. And that happened multiple times, all on well marked roads in clear weather. WOW. Even using this feature in 5 MPH stop-and-go traffic wasn't worth the sudden harsh braking versus the more predictable and smoother AP1 behavior.

And forget steering with AP2. Its just not there yet versus AP1. Basically made all of my family car sick with repeated knee-jerking little adjustments. The only time AP2 was really usable, was when it was on very straight highway with no cars around. Otherwise, too much unexpected behavior with the family literally begging me to drive. And don't even mention the overly-aggressive and nauseating lane changes with AP2. Who are the idiots at Tesla who would approve this kind of driving behavior? Race car drivers?

So all-in-all, I'm perfectly content with my AP1 car, even if there are no new features going forward. Now I really understand and empathize with AP2 owners who are complaining and even downgrading to CPO AP1 cars. Ouch.

Last edited:
This leaves some room for interpretation, but I asked Elon about this in May:

det1F7D.png

So, I wouldn't say no improvements, but it doesn't look like there's headroom for major ones. He also continued:

uJMl5BF.png

Reactions: BinaryField