Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 17.11.10 getting worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been on 17.11.10 for a few weeks and a couple thousand miles. The more I use it, the worse it gets. Anybody else experiencing this?

My daily commute is about 80 miles of interstate driving, so the variation isn't due to different roads.
So far I've logged about 1,200 miles of cross country interstate and over 1,000 miles of daily commute.

It has always "ping ponged" between the lines, especially bad on corners, sometimes to the extent it would set off the lane departure warning itself in corners. (so often I finally turned the warning off) The last couple of trips of my daily commute it has gotten so much worse. The other night I actually started getting a little car sick from the constant back and forth between the lines movement. (if a cop had been following me, I'm sure I would have been pulled over for suspected drunk driving.) I pretty much always rest one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and would rarely if ever get the hold wheel warning. Lately it constantly goes off.

The TACC is also getting much worse. I used to get erroneous slow downs in traffic once in awhile, now it happens pretty much every time I overtake a vehicle in the other lane. It also randomly happens when there is no other traffic around whatsoever.

And finally, am I the only one who would love the ability to select between TACC and standard cruise control? TACC (when working properly) is great in most instances, however when I'm on a road I know like the back of my hand, there really is no need to slow down for corners. Another frustration is it shutting off in weather due to the sensors being blocked. I'm not asking to use CC in a blinding snow storm, but there's really no reason why I can't use it in moderate rain. The other day I was driving in a light drizzle and it kept shutting off.

I don't think there will ever be a "simple" cruise control as it's just plain too dumb in this day and age. I think Tesla would prefer to fix TACC than add a dumb cruise option.

But if it makes you feel any better, last weekend (for the very first time) my X performed an emergency brake while passing another vehicle in the neighbouring lane. I've got AP1 and I've been driving with AP since last July.

So the software appears to be changing. Sometimes newer and smarter features introduce bugs that make the over-all experience worse. Typically, what happens next is that things slowly get better over the next few updates to the point where it was as deliable as before.

I don't think there will ever be a "simple" cruise control as it's just plain too dumb in this day and age. I think Tesla would prefer to fix TACC than add a dumb cruise option.

I disagree with "simple" cruise control being too dumb. The majority of the vehicles do have "simple" cruise control. (yes, more and more vehicles are offering a form of TACC but usually as a fairly pricey option, which is the same as Tesla. Non AP cars have "simple" cruise control)

So, again, I feel it would be beneficial to be able to switch between TACC and standard cruise control. Especially in the lightly raining instances where It's completely safe to use CC but can't because the sensors are blocked.

I disagree with "simple" cruise control being too dumb. The majority of the vehicles do have "simple" cruise control. (yes, more and more vehicles are offering a form of TACC but usually as a fairly pricey option, which is the same as Tesla. Non AP cars have "simple" cruise control)

So, again, I feel it would be beneficial to be able to switch between TACC and standard cruise control. Especially in the lightly raining instances where It's completely safe to use CC but can't because the sensors are blocked.
I believe TACC uses radar only (no cameras), so it shouldn't be that affected by rain/snow. But we can agree to disagree about the usefulness of simple cruise control (SCC). :)

However, you could always make a good argument for it and Email Tesla ([email protected]) this enhancement request.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Tomnook
I believe TACC uses radar only (no cameras), so it shouldn't be that affected by rain/snow.

It does use radar, and the sensors are absolutely affected by rain and snow. As I have stated even light rain will cause the system to turn off. Snow, forget it, no chance of it working. Audi, Mercedes, Buick, and Cadillac are all other versions of TACC vehicles that don't work in the snow, but would generally work in the rain. Other vehicles I own that have radar parking sensors don't work either when covered with snow. ( I know, I know, radar SHOULD be able to see through snow, I'm simply stating for a fact that it doesn't on vehicles)

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Mine most certainly got better.

While I had mine in the shop I had a loaner with ap 1.0

While I can say the 1.0 was a little better on highways the ap2.0 is already significantly better under 35mph for me on windy roads with hills.

Ap1.0 would veer hard left or right at the peak of a small hill since it couldn't see the other side while my 2.0 doesn't - it works -

Also when there is a break where there is no lines for 10-20 yards the 1.0 would never make it - whereas my 2.0 does .

Granted it's not perfect but I didn't need to take over.

To me it is absolutely improved - and I'm super excited for the next update.

I'd be concerned there is a hardware issue if it's getting worse.

Like the OP, I have experienced the same issue and was about to post a question about it. This week, places where AP2 was doing fine suddenly became problematic. More slow downs. Worse lane keeping. Worse handling of curves. This is on my commute, so I have a baseline, and weather conditions have been the same.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It does use radar, and the sensors are absolutely affected by rain and snow. As I have stated even light rain will cause the system to turn off. Snow, forget it, no chance of it working. Audi, Mercedes, Buick, and Cadillac are all other versions of TACC vehicles that don't work in the snow, but would generally work in the rain. Other vehicles I own that have radar parking sensors don't work either when covered with snow. ( I know, I know, radar SHOULD be able to see through snow, I'm simply stating for a fact that it doesn't on vehicles)

For what it's worth, TACC seems to work just fine in the rain on my MX 100D. In snow it is fine until it builds up on the front where the radar cannot penetrate. I tested this myself (being curious) by clearing the area of snow buildup and both TACC and AutoSteer worked again for a few miles until it built up a layer again.

We're in spring now and the snow is wet and builds up easily. I suspect during full winter where the snow is dry and would just blow off I might never have it disable. Mind you I wouldn't be using AP on snowy roads either, something about a sunny California company building an AP system that can drive on snow doesn't seem congruent.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It certainly does seem a little suspect that some of us are getting worse while others are getting better. TallPaul, naturally the snow buildup affects the radar, I've experienced that numerous times over the years in my other vehicles. Like you say, wipe the snow off and it works again etc. But mine is having problems with light rain, let alone worse weather.

I wonder if it has something to do with the camera alignment issue from before?

It certainly does seem a little suspect that some of us are getting worse while others are getting better. TallPaul, naturally the snow buildup affects the radar, I've experienced that numerous times over the years in my other vehicles. Like you say, wipe the snow off and it works again etc. But mine is having problems with light rain, let alone worse weather.

I wonder if it has something to do with the camera alignment issue from before?

I'd probably ask service about it. Radar shouldn't have any problems with rain/fog, so maybe the cameras do play a role even for TACC? Or you've got a faulty radar system.

Much to my surprise, there are a couple cars with ACC that also allow blind cruise control, but the vast majority do not and it isn't arrogance or shortsightedness on the part of the manufacturer.

Having both kinds of cruise available greatly increases the risk of rear ending someone. No matter how carefully they separate the activation methods and screen displays, inevitably someone will activate the blind cruise control thinking they activated ACC.

You only discover the difference when you close in on another car, so the best case is a near miss and panicked braking event, and the most likely outcome of a mistaken activation is an accident - and one that the driver will immediately blame on the manufacturer, saying that the car failed to stop while in ACC.

It's not worth the risk to a manufacturer, and really if conditions are bad enough that ACC cuts out, you shouldn't be allowing a cruise control to manage your limited traction anyway.

I've notice AP is worse when a big rig is in front and in either lane beside me. The car breaks hard when approaching especially when turning while approaching....very frustrating when passengers are sleeping than car breaks hard for no real reason.