Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 at AP 1.0 price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS is still in production so this is a question for current MS owners with AP. How often do you use AP? Is it something that is gimmicky and fun to show friends or something you have become accustomed to? I ask b/c I wonder how beneficial it is to upgrade from AP 1.0 to EAP?

I doubt someone as technical as Elon would mispeak about something like that. Just because it may be a Titan chip, doesn't mean it has to be what we consider in traditional GPUs with PCI mounting etc. I don't see why couldnt mount the chip on proprietary board of some sort. That makes far more sense.

Plus Titan chip is much faster processor than what is in the PX2. I believe it is something like 11 teraflops vs. 8.

I was right :p

All new Teslas are equipped with NVIDIA’s new Drive PX 2 AI platform for self-driving

My MS is still in production so this is a question for current MS owners with AP. How often do you use AP? Is it something that is gimmicky and fun to show friends or something you have become accustomed to? I ask b/c I wonder how beneficial it is to upgrade from AP 1.0 to EAP?
Every day - get in stop and go traffic and think, "wait, why am I bothering with this crap, here...you drive, Slartibartfast"

Just wanted to update everyone. I logged into my tesla account and pulled my "design spec" this is what's listed. So I guess not ALL production MS are going to have new hardware installed.
I spoke to my DS and it's just the way it shows up on the system. All Teslas in production today and in the production pipeline as early as 10/10/2016 would have the new hardware. You will be software locked to AP 1 features and capabilities (e.g. no traffic speed matching, no auto freeway exit or freeway transition, single camera for AP versus 4 camera). If you chose to upgrade before delivery you'll get a link in your e-mail offering to upgrade from AP 1 to EAP for $2000. After delivery it will cost you $3000 (an additional $1000 to get you to do it earlier than wait).

If it's anything like how they slipstreamed AP 1 into the line up and then 6 months later offered owners 30day trials that's might be how it will work here. Whether or not you have AP 1 and the new hardware they'll probably give owners a trial period of EAP, and like any drug, once you get a taste, you're addicted. If you're even remotely considering EAP, I say go for it. It's not going to get any cheaper or be free. You'll have a better experience. I'd hold off on the FA (Fully Autonomous) option for now, it needs additional data points for them to refine the feature and they need gov't approval which concerns me more than the technology, and there's no indication that if you live in an area that they don't allow it if you could get a "refund" of the $3000 you paid for a feature you can't use. Since regulatory body would be local municipalities I believe it adds a layer of complexity to the conversation. What if your county allowed it but the next county over doesn't but the county next to that allows it. So will FA be disabled between the two areas? Freeway system would be federal so they could get that working, but takes away from the surface streets and being completely level 5 FA.