Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 exceeds AP 1.0 for me again - activates on 2 lane road where 1.0 never would

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was checking out "truck lust" on a long drive recently, and realised that it is not actually a thing in AP2.

When on AP, the car stays centered in the lane, regardless of whether there is truck in the next lane or not. Driving manually, I would automatically give trucks a wider gap by moving to the other side of my lane, and modify my position in the lane to keep that gap consistent.

As AP does not do that, it does seem that the car is moving towards the truck, but when you visually check the gap between rear wheels and line markings, you realise that the car remains dead center.

Completely agree here, and this is one of the best examples of how AP2 solves a problem that's plagued MobileEye/AP1 for so long.

True "truck lust" on AP1, and on other MobileEye demo cars such as the Guardian's Nissan Leaf test drive, is when a truck drives very closely to a lane line marker or casts a shadow over it, and AP1 suddenly loses the lane line on that side, and incorrectly guesses based off the remaining lane line that you're off-center, causing it to steer into the truck.

AP2 drives dead center with cars beside it. Even during the worst of torture tests, like dumb drivers making slo-mo lane changes and straddling lane lines for 10+ seconds. Those situations used to be torture for AP1 and almost guaranteed it to lose a lane line and do something worrisome.

AP2 regularly gives me the option to activate on the unmarked, residential roads I travel. I've not given it a try, though.

Mine does too. On the quarter mile residential road to my house if I use it it will either try and hit the garbage cans or the trees that are near the side of the road since it hugs the visual line of the edge of the pavement so tightly. It's a place where you can see just how much harder FSD is going to be than just lane keeping which is what autosteer is. It requires you to realize that the useful area of the road is not always defined by where the pavement is.