Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 - Lets log our experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since AP 2.0 is brand new with new code base, i think it would be cool to start a thread outlining our experiences with it as of now and as time goes on. We can note the good and the bad and see how things are changed, added or fixed over time. Maybe this can act as a information source for new owners and maybe a good data source for Tesla. I am fascinated with AP, so for me i enjoy testing what it can and cannot do, and am excited to see it develop over time.

Rules of engagement:
  • As a new owner, I have already seen a TON of FUD and anger around autopilot. This thread is not for you to protest you feelings about autopilot. It IS OK however to note negative experiences, IF you provide the scenario in which it happened and leave it at that.
  • I will be posting some videos showing AutoPilot 2.0. Do not talk to me about "Safety" of me filming while driving. My foot is over the break the entire time, one hand is near the wheel at all times, i am ALWAYS looking at the road around me and NOT looking at the camera. Once AutoPilot goes high speed, i will use a camera mount on a gopro to film on a constant basis.
  • If you can post a Video, that is awesome. If you can't do it safely, don't do it.
  • You must be a AP 2.0 driver, with an actual experience you had with AP 2.0
  • If you have a question for a poster, you can ask, keep it simple and to the point. Not here to bash AP, just to document.
  • FOLLOW THE FORMAT BELOW. This will keep everything making sense.

Format

1. Scenario(s) you tested

1. What did you like.

-Dislike
1. What did you dislike.

I will start the first post in the following post :)

Here goes nothin :)

Scenario

1. Autopilot, heavy stop and go traffic (5 freeway, rush hour). Few decent curves along the way. BIG RIG Truck on my right. Car to my left.

1. Overall, everything was very good. I was nervous about this "Truck Lust" i keep hearing about, but in this scenario i did not experience it. The lane keeping was solid, never went over a line. The freeway is mostly straight, but there were curves it had to navigate.

-Dislike
1. Need to tune the breaking and accelerating just a bit. Honestly, overall i got used to it. If i were to grade how it "feels" it is around a C+/B-.

Video of the experience
IMG_0718.MOV

I was nervous about this "Truck Lust" i keep hearing about, but in this scenario i did not experience it.

Actually watching your video, and watching the Tesla's depiction of where your car is within the lane, it looks like you --DID-- experience a little truck lust. It may have been pretty insignificant, but your car likes the trucks, at least a little! :)

1. Overall, everything was very good. I was nervous about this "Truck Lust" i keep hearing about, but in this scenario i did not experience it.

I think it's important to note that truck lust is an AP 1.0 behavior, and AP 2.0 is a complete unknown. Right now AP 2.0 isn't capable of the speed where truck lust typically occurs (>65mph). My speculation is truck lust won't happen with AP 2.0 due to all the additional hardware, and improved sensors.

It looked like the car stayed pretty center to me?

Please - nobody get into an accident because you were holding your phone to record a video instead of paying attention to driving. We (tesla, owners) really don't need that right now. Dashcam video - go for it.

It looked like the car stayed pretty center to me?

Screen captures, at 12 seconds and 18 seconds:

12 Second Truck Lust.jpg

18 second truck lust.jpg

Here are the images cropped and zoomed in:

12 Secs blown up.jpg

18 secons blown up.jpg

Last edited:
The tendency for the cars, when auto-steer is engaged, to move closer, within the lane, to the trucks they are passing.

Most drivers would, if anything, move to the other side of the lane when passing a truck. Autosteer on AP1 very often senses the truck, and moves closer to it. Hence the term "Truck Lust."

@EinSV --what do you "disagree" with about the post above? I'm not providing any opinion. @Moti Cohen asked what "Truck Lust" was, and I provided the answer.

If you disagree, what do you think "Truck Lust" is?

Reactions: GSP and ABC2D
I am pleased to see a video demonstration of autosteer working well. I am a bit disappointed it doesn't display vehicles in the adjacent lanes. I would be blown away to see it display vehicles next to the vehicle (other than ultrasonic indicators), but I know that is likely months away. Judging by videos of AP1, I feel it's largest limitation is it's narrow cone of vision. I look forward to seeing that AP2 can and does track the vehicles adjacent and slightly forward that AP1 can't seem to see.

Reactions: Vger
I am pleased to see a video demonstration of autosteer working well. I am a bit disappointed it doesn't display vehicles in the adjacent lanes. I would be blown away to see it display vehicles next to the vehicle (other than ultrasonic indicators), but I know that is likely months away. Judging by videos of AP1, I feel it's largest limitation is it's narrow cone of vision. I look forward to seeing that AP2 can and does track the vehicles adjacent and slightly forward that AP1 can't seem to see.

Yes I suspect this will come in the next update. This is just the very start.

Reactions: NeverEnough
@EinSV --what do you "disagree" with about the post above? I'm not providing any opinion. @Moti Cohen asked what "Truck Lust" was, and I provided the answer.

If you disagree, what do you think "Truck Lust" is?

The OP has already clarified that he did not notice any "truck lust" driving the car. That addresses one of several reasons I disagreed with your post.

I couldn't notice it, one thing I did notice is the car animation bounces back and forth just a little about every second, so the screen there is not totally accurate

My understanding from the first post is that the OP wanted this thread devoted to experiences of AP 2.0 owners, which I think it is a great idea:

You must be a AP 2.0 driver, with an actual experience you had with AP 2.0

I don't have AP 2.0 (sadly!) so out of respect for the OP will not participate in derailing this thread -- which is supposed to be about AP 2.0 -- with a discussion of so-called Truck Lust, and the evidence for its existence (or not) in different versions of AP 1. (There are plenty of other threads for that).

Now, back to AP 2.0 experiences (hopefully!) ....

The OP has already clarified that he did not notice any "truck lust" driving the car. That addresses one of several reasons I disagreed with your post.

The first post you disagreed with was me explaining "truck lust" to someone who asked what it was. I wasn't the one who brought "truck lust" into this thread. The OP was.

As for the posts where I attempted to show that the OP may have actually experienced a little bit of truck lust, I think the screen captures speak for themselves. I was merely trying to show the OP what he may have experienced a little of what he thought he did not.

This is a discussion forum. People discuss.

If I had come into this thread and started posting about AP1 experiences, perhaps disagree with me for posting off-topic, if that's what you like to do. If I had come into this thread and started posting about what kind of snow tires to get on a Model 3, sure, throw a disagree at me to try to keep me in line. But I didn't do either of those things. The first post you disagreed with I was being helpful, and answering a direct question. The other was on-topic.

I find it interesting that you have given out 152 "disagrees and dislikes" while I have given out 0. Discussing and using words is a lot more productive than just lobbing "disagrees" at people.

<snip>

I find it interesting that you have given out 152 "disagrees and dislikes" while I have given out 0. Discussing and using words is a lot more productive than just lobbing "disagrees" at people.

I am happy to let you have the last word, except to say that I also have given out 2,398 "Likes," 1,125 "Funnies." 909 "Informatives," 618 "Helpfuls," and 194 "Loves." So not a hater, just spend too much time on TMC, it would seem.;)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled AP 2.0 programming ....

My experience with AP 2.0 so far has been a mixed bag. About 60% of the time that I turn on my car, I get a message saying that "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable". The other 40% of the time, the features are available and seem to work. I've called my local SC and they are analyzing my data to see why my AP keeps turning off. I'm not sure if it's a mis-calibration or camera angle issue.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP