Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really confused, personally. I ordered a Model X on 10/1 with confirmation on 10/8. I emailed my sales rep yesterday to ask if my car would have the new hardware, and this is the response back:

"As your car was built before the production cutover to the new hardware suite, we have the following recourse options available to you: while we can certainly help you re-order another vehicle, you will need to place a new deposit and be subject to the latest production timing which may delay your delivery. You will also need to pay full price for the new Autopilot option. Alternatively, we can also continue on with your existing order, pricing and delivery timing as-is." Minor detail, but that doesn't sound like recourse to me.

When I spoke with her on the phone, the answer was basically "Sorry, if you want the new hardware, you can forfeit your deposit, put down a new $2,500, and get back in line for production."

What really confuses me about this is the fact that my car isn't made yet (at least to my knowledge). I am anticipating a delivery date in late Dec / early January, so the whole thing is driving me a little crazy. I did look at the "View Design Spec" and it does specify Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features. So if all this is true, I basically have a superseded car before I even accept delivery?

Where can you see how far along your car is in the production process? When I go to the My Tesla Site, it isn't obvious. There is a link for "delivery process guide" but it comes back as 404 Not Found when I click on it.

I'm really confused, personally. I ordered a Model X on 10/1 with confirmation on 10/8. I emailed my sales rep yesterday to ask if my car would have the new hardware, and this is the response back:

"As your car was built before the production cutover to the new hardware suite, we have the following recourse options available to you: while we can certainly help you re-order another vehicle, you will need to place a new deposit and be subject to the latest production timing which may delay your delivery. You will also need to pay full price for the new Autopilot option. Alternatively, we can also continue on with your existing order, pricing and delivery timing as-is." Minor detail, but that doesn't sound like recourse to me.

Sounds like bad information to me. I would wait a week and check back with them.

As far as what the design spec shows that shows what you ordered, and they have updated that to be clear. I suspect that over the next week they will be updating in process orders to the new option codes to show what is actually going to be built. (And they will probably reach out to you first to see if you want to pay to upgrade to one of the two new AP levels or if you want to keep the classic AP level you already speced.)

Current data says all cars made 10/10 or later have the new AP hardware. So unless they managed to build your car on 10/9, in the one day after confirmation, your car will have the new AP hardware. If they really did make it on 10/9, then it should be ready really soon for delivery.

It sounds like bad info from your DS.

Current data says all cars made 10/10 or later have the new AP hardware. So unless they managed to build your car on 10/9, in the one day after confirmation, your car will have the new AP hardware. If they really did make it on 10/9, then it should be ready really soon for delivery.

Thanks all - I'll update my reply when I hear definitively. I've been pretty disappointed so far with some of the misinformation I've been given in various areas.

I'm one data point, and I don't have a car on order. Too many other people (with cars on order) have been told there is a cost to enable enhanced autopilot. There needs to be a high level announcement from Tesla to end this confusion/speculation ASAP.
Thanks for confirming that you don't have an order yet. Easier decision for you. After a lot of back and forth and deliberating on this topic - I thinking paying the extra 2k is totally worth it.

When I spoke with her on the phone, the answer was basically "Sorry, if you want the new hardware, you can forfeit your deposit, put down a new $2,500, and get back in line for production."

What really confuses me about this is the fact that my car isn't made yet (at least to my knowledge). I am anticipating a delivery date in late Dec / early January, so the whole thing is driving me a little crazy. I did look at the "View Design Spec" and it does specify Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features. So if all this is true, I basically have a superseded car before I even accept delivery?

Where can you see how far along your car is in the production process? When I go to the My Tesla Site, it isn't obvious. There is a link for "delivery process guide" but it comes back as 404 Not Found when I click on it.

I also wonder why the Delivery Process Guide link doesn't work...

I've gotten new information from my sales associate. They have confirmed that it will have 2.0 hardware and only 1.0 functionality unless I choose to upgrade. I can pay the difference of $2K for EAP or $5K for EAP + self-driving. I think that this point I'll add the EAP but will hold back on self-driving until regulatory approval is obtained. Since this feature will be so jurisdiction-specific, I don't think it makes sense to pay $3K for something that I may or may not ever get use out of!

I spoke with another Tesla owner that has 1.0 hardware, but he never activated it.
He told me Tesla contacted him and offered to give him a free trial for a month. He said it was also offered to him for $2,000 to activate it after he already owned the car.

I have my doubts about the price for upgrade being more expensive after the fact.
I suspect Tesla will negotiate on that issue on a case by case basis.

this info may be useful for those that want to hold off on upgrading to EAP now...

I ordered mine on 12 Sept, went into production on 28 Sept which took 14 days. Got the email that production was completed on 12 Oct. This is way longer than the average 4 to 5 days production time that's in the order and delivery excel. So I'm hoping AP2.0 was the reason production took longer.. We'll found at the end of November when delivery takes place in Tilburg (The Netherlands)

Reactions: Sather
I ordered mine on 12 Sept, went into production on 28 Sept which took 14 days. Got the email that production was completed on 12 Oct. This is way longer than the average 4 to 5 days production time that's in the order and delivery excel. So I'm hoping AP2.0 was the reason production took longer.. We'll found at the end of November when delivery takes place in Tilburg (The Netherlands)

It is rumored that 10/10 is the cut-off date for the new hardware. But is that starting production on 10/10 or finishing production on 10/10?

I would hope you find out sooner than that. (So you can decide if you want to cancel and re-order sooner.)

So, I am one of the many here who have a car on order with the AP1 functionality.. and I have been mulling it over in my head now for a few days trying to figure out if I have been "cheated" or "gifted". I guess in the end it feels like a bit of both.

It's really nice to have the additional hardware and the ability to upgrade to the full capabilities... but the things in the "advanced autopilot" feature set feel like they were at least implied as being things that the old autopilot was eventually going to be able to do, or at least come close to, once they got the kinks worked out of it. Some quotes:

From v7 blog ("your autopilot has arrived"):
  • Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control.
  • The release of Tesla Version 7.0 software is the next step for Tesla Autopilot. We will continue to develop new capabilities and deliver them through over-the-air software updates, keeping our customers at the forefront of driving technology in the years ahead.
From v8 release ("Upgrading Autopilot: seeing the world in radar")
  • When at a highway exit, it will favor marked lane lines in the direction of vehicle indicator (8.0)* or in the direction suggested by the navigation system if active (8.1). This feature will be available initially in the US and later in all countries where lane markings are open for highway exits
And the "enhanced autopilot" new features:
  • Match speed to traffic conditions (sounds like traffiic aware cruise control)
  • keep within a lane (yup sort if in 8.0, though it seems like it needs help)
  • change lanes without requiring driver input
  • transition from one freeway to another
  • exit the freeway
  • self park (already there)
  • summon from garage. (already there, though supposed to be better)
These all seem like they are mostly realistic "new capabilities", or actually tuning of the existing system (see v7 blog) that I would expect from the autopilot package that I already paid for... not things that I expect to have to pay MORE for.

Tesla has said that we will get the current AP feature set (if it was purchased) in the new hardware, however, what they have not said is how (or if) they plan on enhancing it. It feels to me like what is likely to happen is they will get the old feature set working with the new hardware, and then put all their efforts into tuning and tweeking the new features, leaving people with that old feature set to "live with what we have" and not expect any further "new capabilities" unless we pay for the new system.

Question for any of you who have been around for a while... has Tesla continued to Improve features in products that are no longer being sold? (I don't know what this even compares to in the Tesla world)

I wont go so far as to say we are being cheated, or that Tesla is breaking a promise or commitment (though it seems like they are stretching some things), but it would be nice if they would have said that orders for "autopilot convenience features" == "enhanced autopilot". One of the reasons I decided to go with the Tesla was their reputation for taking care of customers.

Reactions: xborg and DJ 240V