Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the hardware is going in starting today. My MX is slated for November production and December delivery, so I'm good in that regard.

My question has to do with whether the autopilot I paid for will be "fully loaded" or will there be additional costs to get the software enabled?

I will reach out to the DS as well, who is probably bombarded with emails. I would ideally like to pick up my MX ready to go and have all costs rolled into the monthly payment.

Let me know too. I ordered my MX in July and then pushed it back to february. I paid 2500 dollars at the time for autopilot. Let me know how they figure out the difference. I don't think likely we can expect to not pay additional. Right now, the full autonomous driving is 8000 add on.

Looking at my purchase agreement (for MS) I can't see how they could charge any additional for base autopilot, as the agreement is for both features and price. And if the base autopilot on all new vehicles is Enhanced, then we will essentially receive Enhanced at a discount. From a technical perspective I can't see the new system using less than 4 cameras.

Reactions: Ulmo
My order for MX was confirmed on Oct 8th and dont have an exact delivery date but was told by the DS that it would be late november or early december. I had configured it with the autopilot($2500). Would they include the new hardware for the autopilot 2.0($5000)??If so do we pay the difference of $2500 and an additional $3000 for the Full self driving capability.
Based on EM's announcement it seems that the Enhanced autopilot hardware in Model S and X is already in production. Unclear what it means for folks who have their vehicles in the factory production queue. I don't mind paying the difference as long as the hardware is installed for futureproofing.
Do the DS shed any light on this issue if you call them?

Looking at my purchase agreement (for MS) I can't see how they could charge any additional for base autopilot, as the agreement is for both features and price.

Easy, they tell you they still have some legacy hardware lying around if you're not interested in paying the additional $2k difference. That should do it.

Seriously though, I think Tesla will have to eat the difference so you can probably count yourself lucky.

I wasn't even sure I wanted to pay $2500 for AP. It's not something I will use daily. I got it because I thought it was worth $2500 to not have any regrets. $5000 is definitely a no go unless I drove in daily stop and go traffic. I'm guessing Tesla will eat the extra $2500 for people with cars on order before the announcement. That would create a lot of ill will if they didn't. I'm waiting on the "Full Self-Driving Capability" to see if they can pull it off. Hopefully it's only an additional $4,000 if they do.

My guess (based on nothing but my own supposition) is that if the following 3 conditions are met:
  • Your order is confirmed
  • Your car has or will have the new hardware suite
  • Your order included the $2500 autopilot option
then you will get the new Enhanced Autopilot at no additional charge. In this case, you'll still have to pay $3000 (or $4000 after delivery) to get the full self driving.

If your car is already built and is awaiting delivery, or if it's in production now, you'll want to reach out to your DS to find out whether you have the new hardware.

Reactions: Sather and Ulmo
...new Enhanced Autopilot at no additional charge....

Remember that Tesla has been historically capable of degrading a car function downward so that it would be as if it is cheaper:

Your car may have 75 kWh battery but Tesla has been able to degrade it down as if it's a cheaper 60 kWh.

For those who used to have 60 kWh battery but didn't pay the Supercharger access fee, Tesla was able to degrade it down as if the car had no ability to Supercharge.

Now, you've gotten 8 cameras, there is no reason that Tesla cannot degrade the function down to 1 camera just like the one you paid for $2,500.

You now got ultrasonic sensors with a range of 8 meters or 26 feet, there's no reason that Tesla cannot degrade them down as if they were the older ones that could only see 5 meters or 16 feet.

And so on....

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and TacC
@Tam true , but it seems like a lot of work for the software team. Limiting range and power makes sense. But limiting safety doesn't seem ethical.

I'm in the same boat. My order was confirmed today ! As long as we get the new hardware and Enhanced AP , I really can't complain , as others above have speculated. Most tesla DS seems to be clueless at this stage.

I wasn't even sure I wanted to pay $2500 for AP. It's not something I will use daily. I got it because I thought it was worth $2500 to not have any regrets. $5000 is definitely a no go unless I drove in daily stop and go traffic. I'm guessing Tesla will eat the extra $2500 for people with cars on order before the announcement. That would create a lot of ill will if they didn't. I'm waiting on the "Full Self-Driving Capability" to see if they can pull it off. Hopefully it's only an additional $4,000 if they do.
+1 share your sentiments exactly!

Now, you've gotten 8 cameras, there is no reason that Tesla cannot degrade the function down to 1 camera
I believe there is. The system must be trained and validated as a unit, hence disabling AP features until they are validated on the new hardware. The combo of Nvidia, Tesla Vision and 1 camera would require validation just as with 4 and 8 cams. But the number of cars it would apply to is quite small, hardly worth the effort. Don't see it happening.

Reactions: vandacca and Sather
I dropped by Burbank Sales today. They said prior orders placed which go into production now will get the enhanced autopilot at no extra charge. This is a direct analogy to those who got the April facelift without the $1,500 price increase on then recently placed orders. Recent orders will have to pay extra for the "full autonomy" version of autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: Sather and emchen
I dropped by Burbank Sales today. They said prior orders placed which go into production now will get the enhanced autopilot at no extra charge. This is a direct analogy to those who got the April facelift without the $1,500 price increase on then recently placed orders. Recent orders will have to pay extra for the "full autonomy" version of autopilot.
I wonder if I get to double-dip since I placed my order right before the refresh was announced.

I ordered a MX60D and got a call from DS today and he clearly stated that we will only get autopilot 1.0 with the original purchase. We will need to make up the price difference for either enhanced autopilot or full self-driving.