TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP 2.0 Retrofit sounds possible - or Am I crazy

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pennstlong, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. proven

proven Member

When they offered a parking sensor retrofit it was over $6,000--so I doubt something as complicated as AP2.0 would be that cheap even if they did offer it (which he said they wouldn't).

• Like x 3
  2. dapao

dapao Member

what a shame I cannot have AP2.0 but i will have it my new model 3.

3. outie

outie Active Member

Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out by then.

4. MichFin

MichFin Member

Everyone worried that they didn't get autopilot 2.0 stop worrying. Your autopilot 1.0 will be better for the next 6 months anyway and full autonomy is not happening any time soon. Even once it's ready which probably won't be until end of 2017 then the Feds want to test it for 1 year. So the soonest will be late 2018 and by then you'll want whatever new gizmos they add between now and then anyway.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I haven't said anything yet but as a 3 month old MS owner, this is exactly how I feel.

What you have with AP 1 is a very well understood and mature system that has been through 2 years of refinement, and fundamentally it is still the core of the approach AP 2.0 is taking. By the time AP 2.0 is truly measurably superior to 1.0 in every way, there will almost certainly be other improvements you would want.

There's constant clamoring about non AP items like vented seats for the MS, folding rear seats for the MX, a new MCU rev for more responsive infotainment, surround view backup cameras, and so on. We've already seen that Tesla releases individual features whenever they are ready.... it seems likely that in another 1.5 years there will be a bunch of other stuff you'd want too.

• Like x 1
  6. phren0logy

phren0logy Member

I, for one, would be willing to pay for the new non-lethal autopilot ;)

• Like x 1
  7. TacC

TacC Member

The $500 is probably worth it to get AP 2.0. How much does a time machine run these days, though?

8. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Enhanced Autopilot will be ready by Dec of this year, just like what is stated on Tesla website. So AP 1.0 is only better for 2 months.

Full autonomy (which is one step higher than Enhanced Autopilot) will happen by end of 2017, like Elon stated.

9. outie

outie Active Member

Both Tesla website and Elon don't have a very good track record on dates. No one will know until they deliver. I don't know if you are being sarcastic specifically mentioning the website and Elon.

I can foresee how people are anxiously waiting for the next software updates on a daily basis though.

10. Bishop

Bishop Member

now what i dont understand is how a retrofit cost more than buying a new car .... how does a retrofit cost more than 75-150k?

11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

#51 chillaban, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    When you buy a new car, you don't just grind your car into bits and throw your current car in an incinerator — you get back whatever the value of your trade-in is.

I would expect the average person to take a 10-15% depreciation hit versus a 60mo loan payment curve, plus then you get the other new features and an altogether newer car that now has a higher resale value (and a new warranty).

Elon is unfortunately probably right…. Most people are probably looking at a $10-20k retrofit cost with parts and labor, and that might not be any better than just turning the car in and buying another one.

12. Bishop

Bishop Member

i would agree with you .. except we all know tesla LOVES low balling trades

• Like x 1
  13. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Just Tesla?

14. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Off topic, but I saw an old P85 the other day with temp tags, and a license plate frame advertising a local ICE dealership. And a big name local one (Larry H. Miller), not just a little guy that takes whatever comes their way. I was really surprised that they would have bought/sold a used Tesla.

15. Troy

Troy Active Member

I think what Elon means is, a retrofit would cost maybe around $30K. That's my best guess. Therefore trading in your car and buying a new one would be a better choice.

16. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Now for my serious reply. Well kinda serious... if no one else gives a higher offer than Tesla, is Tesla really lowballing?

17. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Tesla and Musk are infamous for missing deadlines. There were multiple threads here back before AP 1.0 was enabled complaining about how long it took to actually enable the hardware in the car. IIRC, Elon and the website both stated that it would be a few months until AP would be activated, and it ultimately took more than a year.

18. LastGas

LastGas Member

Elon said that the retrofit is "not practical" and that it would be like a spine transplant.

19. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Are spinal transplants impractical? Surely you can get one for $5K in Tijuana!

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't know you personally so cannot comment on your sanity. But you are grasping at the most slender of straws. Elon said in the conference call there will not be an AP1 to AP2 upgrade offered. Period. End of story.