Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 Retrofit sounds possible - or Am I crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I look at it, it wouldn't be that difficult.

6 new cameras (there's already a front and rear facing camera), couldn't be more than $100 each. And $100 for a couple of plastic housings. = $700.

Ultrasonics, maybe about $500

Processor/GPU around $1000.

That's $2200 in hardware. $300 for wiring harnesses and new wiring.

And $2500 in labor buys you a lot of hours to take apart the car and retrofit it.

We paid $3000 for AP. Paying a $5k retrofit, would bring it in line with the total of $8000 they're charging on new cars. Even $7k would be way better than the level of depreciation we'll see on trading up to a new car.

When they offered a parking sensor retrofit it was over $6,000--so I doubt something as complicated as AP2.0 would be that cheap even if they did offer it (which he said they wouldn't).

Everyone worried that they didn't get autopilot 2.0 stop worrying. Your autopilot 1.0 will be better for the next 6 months anyway and full autonomy is not happening any time soon. Even once it's ready which probably won't be until end of 2017 then the Feds want to test it for 1 year. So the soonest will be late 2018 and by then you'll want whatever new gizmos they add between now and then anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: TacC and chillaban
Everyone worried that they didn't get autopilot 2.0 stop worrying. Your autopilot 1.0 will be better for the next 6 months anyway and full autonomy is not happening any time soon. Even once it's ready which probably won't be until end of 2017 then the Feds want to test it for 1 year. So the soonest will be late 2018 and by then you'll want whatever new gizmos they add between now and then anyway.

I haven't said anything yet but as a 3 month old MS owner, this is exactly how I feel.

What you have with AP 1 is a very well understood and mature system that has been through 2 years of refinement, and fundamentally it is still the core of the approach AP 2.0 is taking. By the time AP 2.0 is truly measurably superior to 1.0 in every way, there will almost certainly be other improvements you would want.

There's constant clamoring about non AP items like vented seats for the MS, folding rear seats for the MX, a new MCU rev for more responsive infotainment, surround view backup cameras, and so on. We've already seen that Tesla releases individual features whenever they are ready.... it seems likely that in another 1.5 years there will be a bunch of other stuff you'd want too.

Reactions: Saghost
like the others said, you can just change to order to by paying $500 change fee to get a differently configured car.

Or I think you can always come with some excuse to push the delivery for a few months, then I think they will happily sell this car to someone else and build another car for you.
The $500 is probably worth it to get AP 2.0. How much does a time machine run these days, though?

Enhanced Autopilot will be ready by Dec of this year, just like what is stated on Tesla website. So AP 1.0 is only better for 2 months.

Full autonomy (which is one step higher than Enhanced Autopilot) will happen by end of 2017, like Elon stated.

Enhanced Autopilot will be ready by Dec of this year, just like what is stated on Tesla website. So AP 1.0 is only better for 2 months.

Full autonomy (which is one step higher than Enhanced Autopilot) will happen by end of 2017, like Elon stated.
Both Tesla website and Elon don't have a very good track record on dates. No one will know until they deliver. I don't know if you are being sarcastic specifically mentioning the website and Elon.

I can foresee how people are anxiously waiting for the next software updates on a daily basis though.

now what i dont understand is how a retrofit cost more than buying a new car .... how does a retrofit cost more than 75-150k?

When you buy a new car, you don't just grind your car into bits and throw your current car in an incinerator — you get back whatever the value of your trade-in is.

I would expect the average person to take a 10-15% depreciation hit versus a 60mo loan payment curve, plus then you get the other new features and an altogether newer car that now has a higher resale value (and a new warranty).

Elon is unfortunately probably right…. Most people are probably looking at a $10-20k retrofit cost with parts and labor, and that might not be any better than just turning the car in and buying another one.

Last edited:

Tesla and Musk are infamous for missing deadlines. There were multiple threads here back before AP 1.0 was enabled complaining about how long it took to actually enable the hardware in the car. IIRC, Elon and the website both stated that it would be a few months until AP would be activated, and it ultimately took more than a year.