Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 Retrofit sounds possible - or Am I crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks to me that there will be no real upgrade path for current Tesla drivers. Even the newest Tesla owners (4 month old Model X owner here) may be out of luck.

Yeah, I agree. That said, I've reviewed the design studio, and I'm not so convinced that it's all that bad. Look at the text from the website:
Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.
Of those items, we already have the first two; the second we have, but requires simple input; the third we don't fully have, although it's pretty close, and not that of an imposition when it happens; the fourth is a variant of the third, and the fifth and sixth we already have. AP 2.0 may be better at those items, but the Enhanced Autopilot really is just an enhanced version of what we already have.

Now the Full autonomy is where the excitement is, as the driver no longer needs to be in the car, or can be in the car but not able to drive (sleeping, drunk, etc.) While it's very exciting that this could be coming, they are at the mercy of the regulatory environment here. Will it take years for this to be approved, or will it move faster? The standard for camera rear-view mirror systems took 5 years to develop at the ISO, and the NHTSA hasn't yet adopted those standards into US law. For those of us with existing S and X cars, we could be ready to replace the cars about the time that full autonomy is actually and finally legal for these Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: Martin VanB