Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 Retrofit sounds possible - or Am I crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Design Studio, Under Enhanced Autopilot description it says " The enhancement include going from one camera to four cameras for greater accuracy". So, since this is an option which you can add after delivery, does that mean they would add 3 more cameras or you would already have 4 cameras?

Same goes with Full Self driving, it goes from 4 cameras to 8 cameras and can be added.

Am I crazy or I am just reaching for a straw here?

There will not be retrofits for AP1.0 cars. If you have been following Tesla for long you know this from past history. It's a major undertaking to add parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc. this is a MUCH more complicated upgrade. Those who are speculating AP1.0 can be upgraded are wishful thinking I am afraid. It's been the case that owners of older cars felt this was possible when all wheel drive came out, AP1.0 came out, etc. and Tesla is not going to offer this as a retrofit.

Reactions: Mjølner
The question is are the cars that came off the line in the last 60 days capable of having 2.0 or is it just the change in the line effective this month?

My understanding based on conversations with those in the "know" is that Autopilot+ IS retrofit-able for new cars within the last couple of months. Those cars have the harnesses necessary to retrofit, so the few additional sensors and the new camera can be added for parts+labor costs. NO car prior to today will be able to retrofit the Full Autopilot 2.0 suite so just for new cars as of today coming off the line.

What isnt clear is what capabilities will be distinguished between AP+ and AP2.0? Also will AP+ also NOT be active until approved by regulators?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike