Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 So much negativity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just a bit confused over the timeline. We are supposed to give Tesla money for features that will be available at some indeterminate amount of time and/or an undefined feature set. But that price will go up if you don't do it at purchase. I get it for APv1, that increase after purchase actually made sense. but this one doesn't. It's like being punitive for being cautious.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

Be thankful that you have your health and that you aren't homeless or working for minimum wage. Many can't even afford a used Datsun in our country, let's take a moment and be thankful for the fact that we are all privileged enough to not only afford a car over $70,000, but also to complain that our just delivered cars won't drive themselves. Some perspective might be in order.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

This is a Tesla forum. Everything we post here are first world problems.

It's like being punitive for being cautious.

I've been punished many times for being too cautious when thinking about buying something, especially stocks that I thought about, didn't buy, then they went up. Those who won't plunk down $1,000 for a Model 3 reservation are placed at the back of the line. Yes, the deposit goes to the price of the vehicle, but still it requires the outlay and you're punished if you don't pay up front.

This is the free market. No one has a gun to your head to buy anything. If a company wants to "punish" you for waiting, then another company can come along and offer the same thing on better terms and, in theory, it should get more business.

Tesla severely lacks cash. They're not like their Apple or Google and have billions in cash reserve. There's no guarantee of survival for Tesla and they have invested a ton in AP -- with little payment to date. You may see their price as punitive but they probably see it as a necessity.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Joe F
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

Be thankful that you have your health and that you aren't homeless or working for minimum wage. Many can't even afford a used Datsun in our country, let's take a moment and be thankful for the fact that we are all privileged enough to not only afford a car over $70,000, but also to complain that our just delivered cars won't drive themselves. Some perspective might be in order.

Can we stop it with this kind of guilt post? This type of post comes up every time on this site, but it's absolutely irrelevant to what were talking about. Sure it's a good perspective to have on life, but what does it have to do with talking about AP 2.0? The only actual relevancy it has is AP 2.0 is going to help the less privileged in the long term. The entire thing is designed to bring down the cost of transportation to the point where ride sharing is a lot more affordable than a used Datsun+insurance+gas. It's also extremely important technology when it comes to freeing people from anxiety since lots of people don't live life as fully as they could because they have so much anxiety when it comes to driving.

It's not like we don't KNOW that our problems are a hell of a lot less than the problems other people have. It's not like most of us don't understand our privilege. It's not like we don't try to do things to help push someone up. In fact I'm a firm believer that the very point of life ITSELF is to help. It's the meat and potatoes of life, and the fancy stuff like a heated steering wheel is the dessert. We also know things could easily turn south at any given moment. So it's not even selfless to help; it's just good karma. I know my good fortune probably won't last. It's just a health issue, or a relationship issue away from top ramen for dinner or worse.

Everyone has their user story of how they ended up with a Tesla. I have the Tesla because my brother turned down my offer to help him and his family with cancer expenses. That was the money I had allotted for the down payment for the Tesla, and I wasn't financially well off enough to do both. I didn't say anything about it other than to make the offer and to let them discuss it. My goal was to make sure they didn't lose financial ground since they had just started a family. In life you do what's important before getting the finer things, and the Tesla wasn't even about a car but an experience.

Odds are at any given time in my life I'm mulling over how to help someone or some situation while at the same time I'm obsessed about technology. I get my perspective checked enough with the Black Mirror show that I don't need any of this First world problem guilt trip crap.

Odd are that most of you help others more than I do, and you don't need your perspectives checked.

You can base your decision not only on what they say but your past experience relative to what they've said.
And what is the majority of owner's past experience relative to what they've said? You already outlined a few of the big ones; 10.9 quarter mile, 691HP advertisement, drive unit failures, AP deployment timeframe, discounted cars, features requested then delivered years afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I've had two of the things and it is literally the best car ever, for me. But I've seen better response from other companies in the areas of software development progress, and I've seen better software implementations from other companies in software deliverables. Two things which, arguably, Tesla shouldn't be lagging behind in, given how great the rest of their operations are: service, superchargers, sexy vehicles.

And what is the majority of owner's past experience relative to what they've said? You already outlined a few of the big ones; 10.9 quarter mile, 691HP advertisement, drive unit failures, AP deployment timeframe, discounted cars, features requested then delivered years afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I've had two of the things and it is literally the best car ever, for me. But I've seen better response from other companies in the areas of software development progress, and I've seen better software implementations from other companies in software deliverables. Two things which, arguably, Tesla shouldn't be lagging behind in, given how great the rest of their operations are: service, superchargers, sexy vehicles.
My personal experience is they have delivered most of what they've promised although later than what they committed too. Sometimes they have changed the details of "the promise" for various reasons.

Another reason for AP2.0 negativity is the fact that they aren't working very hard for a retrofit. I, and a lot of P100D owners who just missed the boat by a few weeks, are willing to pay a large premium for a retrofit, since the hassle and taxes/registration/license fees incurred when buying a new vehicle still outweigh a heavily marked up retrofit.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Another reason for AP2.0 negativity is the fact that they aren't working very hard for a retrofit. I, and a lot of P100D owners who just missed the boat by a few weeks, are willing to pay a large premium for a retrofit, since the hassle and taxes/registration/license fees incurred when buying a new vehicle still outweigh a heavily marked up retrofit.
It's not that they aren't working very hard. It's that it's not going to happen. Elon said a new purchase would make more sense, and I'm certain it makes little sense for them to clog up the already backlogged Service Centers with this retrofit.

I sympathize with you. Personally, I have no desire for AP 2.0 and its "to be released" software. Getting an early X was all the reminder I needed to stay away from first versions of complicated automotive products. Even the fixes I received at the Service Center didn't work the first (or second) time. How far away are you from a stable AP 2.0 release? I'd guess over a year. So in my opinion, it's not worth getting too worked up about. But that's my opinion, and yours may differ as may your emotions.. not trying to take that away from you.

I think this is a huge point. I would never suggest Tesla give anything out for free, but I do want a *reasonable* and *realistic* option so that owners can choose. Again, if WK057 did his for 10k plus labor (keep in mind he purchased a couple bumpers and a windshield, plus the mechanisms for brake control and steering), then an AP2.0 retrofit would have to be less than that once you consider the economies of scale, etc.

Edit:
Wiring harness(s): $2000
Windshield: $1500 (including tri-focal front cam)
Cameras: $1000 (additional to windshield cameras)
Fascia pieces: $2000 (marker location, rear reflectors, B-pillar glass)
12 ultrasonic sensors: $500
Labor: $3000? (20hrs)
Total:10k

Last edited: