Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 So much negativity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another reason for AP2.0 negativity is the fact that they aren't working very hard for a retrofit. I, and a lot of P100D owners who just missed the boat by a few weeks, are willing to pay a large premium for a retrofit, since the hassle and taxes/registration/license fees incurred when buying a new vehicle still outweigh a heavily marked up retrofit.

They don't want the money, they want to innovate. If they wanted the money more than accomplishing the end goal, AP 2.0 would have been delayed and retrofit options would have been worked on (which could have delayed AP 2.0 by months or years) If money is no issue as you mentioned sell the P100D at the CPO price and buy a new one with the AP 2.0 hardware. If I were in your situation that's what I would be weighing right now instead of harboring negativity.

They don't want the money, they want to innovate. If they wanted the money more than accomplishing the end goal, AP 2.0 would have been delayed and retrofit options would have been worked on (which could have delayed AP 2.0 by months or years) If money is no issue as you mentioned sell the P100D at the CPO price and buy a new one with the AP 2.0 hardware. If I were in your situation that's what I would be weighing right now instead of harboring negativity.
If they really cared making things safer to the point at which it's 2x better than a human driving, then there are 150k Tesla's out there right now without AP2.0.....

Edit: That's just a devil's advocate look on things. I want them to innovate, but I also like the car I have with the options I have. I want further options to make my car better hardware-wise. And I'm willing to pay.

Reactions: Canuck
Another reason for AP2.0 negativity is the fact that they aren't working very hard for a retrofit. I, and a lot of P100D owners who just missed the boat by a few weeks, are willing to pay a large premium for a retrofit, since the hassle and taxes/registration/license fees incurred when buying a new vehicle still outweigh a heavily marked up retrofit.
Tesla should definitely have delayed the P100D. I understand your frustration. It's disappointing. Not a good move in my opinion. A nice P100D + AP20 event would have been nice.

I think this is a huge point. I would never suggest Tesla give anything out for free, but I do want a *reasonable* and *realistic* option so that owners can choose. Again, if WK057 did his for 10k plus labor (keep in mind he purchased a couple bumpers and a windshield, plus the mechanisms for brake control and steering), then an AP2.0 retrofit would have to be less than that once you consider the economies of scale, etc.

Edit:
Wiring harness(s): $2000
Windshield: $1500 (including tri-focal front cam)
Cameras: $1000 (additional to windshield cameras)
Fascia pieces: $2000 (marker location, rear reflectors, B-pillar glass)
12 ultrasonic sensors: $500
Labor: $3000? (20hrs)
Total:10k

Based on wk057's article it seems like this number is off by about $40k - $60k. He is obviously way more capable than your typical service center tech. He didn't fabricate all new wiring harnesses and other parts either.

Below is a quote from wk057's original write up, and he was talking about the upgrade to AP 1.0 which would have been a lot easier than upgrading to AP 2.0.

"Again, don’t expect to go into Tesla and start demanding they retrofit autopilot. It’s not going to happen. It’s way too much work, and way too involved. Also, if Tesla were to do it they would be replacing basically every wiring harness/fuse box in the car vs. making some modifications like I did, which would be even more work and extremely expensive. I did this as a sort of proof-of-concept, and because I wanted my wife to have autopilot but didn’t want to trade her car in. It shows that it can in fact be done with substantial effort."

Another reason for AP2.0 negativity is the fact that they aren't working very hard for a retrofit.
In the press call last Wednesday Elon said that upgrading an AP1 car to AP2 would be like transplanting a spinal cord. It's simply not feasible. It's absurd to accuse Tesla of not "working very hard" because they won't retrofit AP2 into earlier cars. Apple doesn't offer to retrofit an iPhone 5 to turn it into a 7. Technology changes constantly and what was cutting edge two years ago is supplanted by the latest tech which two years from now will not be cutting edge any more.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
In the press call last Wednesday Elon said that upgrading an AP1 car to AP2 would be like transplanting a spinal cord.

Maybe just a little bit of an exaggeration? But that's Elon for you. His whole life is an exaggeration and I say that in a good way with the utmost of respect for him.

Edit: That's just a devil's advocate look on things.

Now that's my kind of a post. You made good points for both sides of the argument, but let us know where you really stand, while at the same time calling those who disagree with you devils... ;) Good one!

Reactions: supratachophobia
In the press call last Wednesday Elon said that upgrading an AP1 car to AP2 would be like transplanting a spinal cord. It's simply not feasible. It's absurd to accuse Tesla of not "working very hard" because they won't retrofit AP2 into earlier cars. Apple doesn't offer to retrofit an iPhone 5 to turn it into a 7. Technology changes constantly and what was cutting edge two years ago is supplanted by the latest tech which two years from now will not be cutting edge any more.
That simile is a gross exaggeration; yes, you have to add in a GPU, a bunch of wiring, new cameras and sensors, which would require modifying body panels to accommodate the new hardware (or just swap the body panels to new ones that already have the cutouts), but a spinal transplant is not even close to the realm of possibility with current medical technology.

I think what you're seeing is people not buying into the hype anymore based on past experience.

Ironic really, given that a substantial amount of the hype is TMC-generated in numerous speculation threads.

Look at the way we all piled on the assumption that "Oct 17th/19th will be Model 3 part 2" (myself included)

We moan when our own echoes don't turn into the features and options we have convinced ourselves to expect.