TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AP 2 / AP 1 & Surface Streets

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tanner, Dec 20, 2015.

1. tanner

tanner Active Member

Does anyone know if AP2 is coming any time soon? Heard some talk that it might be because Model X design studio seems to indicate two cameras? Thinking about getting a new S and I'd obviously want AP 2 if it's going to be a thing... Does anyone know whether current AP will function on surface streets eventually or whether it's even capable?

2. notAmeenPerson

Not soon. Perhaps late 2017. There's a lot of discussion on this topic. A forum search should find the threads for you.

3. tanner

tanner Active Member

Couldn't really find the info I was looking for regarding surface streets / city AP driving. Do you know if the current hardware will be capable?

4. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I've heard "right around the corner" from someone inside of Tesla engineering.

5. tanner

tanner Active Member

I wonder if the configuration of a new Model S today (since deliveries are pushed until Feb) will include AP2, much like late 2014 MS orders featured AP1.

6. mn4az

mn4az Member

7. tanner

tanner Active Member

8. mn4az

mn4az Member

9. tanner

tanner Active Member

Very interesting... I could see Tesla limiting the ability to enable AP until you're actually on a freeway via geolocation data. Are there any videos or posts describing how capable it is for city driving currently?

10. mn4az

mn4az Member

YouTube has plenty of video's showing folks in Tesla's on freeway with the current hardware/software.

11. tanner

tanner Active Member

I know, I'm talking city though :p
    Basically, I'm trying to determine whether trading mine in and purchasing a new one for AP / D would be worth it right now or whether I should wait longer.

12. tanner

tanner Active Member

#12 tanner, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Also, just got off the phone with two different Tesla advisors, one of whom is the manager for my region. They both informed me that there are no immediate plans to implement any sort of AP 2.0 hardware and that current AP was 3 years in the making, of course they'll also still continue to roll out software updates for current tech (as expected). Moreover, the manager stated that the Model X units being delivered have the SAME AP tech as the Model S, no improved/dual camera design.

13. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

I've used it in city driving and it's generally really good (with good street markings), with the major proviso that it doesn't handle intersections (stop lights and stop signs) at all.

As with any assisted driving, you have to be monitoring it at all times, but it can provide substantial value in the city if you're willing to babysit it.

14. tanner

tanner Active Member

That should help A LOT for trips to bigger cities - e.g. LA.