Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2 / AP 1 & Surface Streets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Does anyone know if AP2 is coming any time soon? Heard some talk that it might be because Model X design studio seems to indicate two cameras? Thinking about getting a new S and I'd obviously want AP 2 if it's going to be a thing... Does anyone know whether current AP will function on surface streets eventually or whether it's even capable?

My understanding from watching Amnon Shashua, the hardware that is in Tesla now, will not allow semi autonomous city driving - that's targeted for CY2018.

Brains, Minds Machines Seminar Series: Computer Vision that is changing our lives - YouTube

This doesn't mean that Tesla owners don't use current AP in the city. Stop and go on a freeway is an example of that.
Very interesting... I could see Tesla limiting the ability to enable AP until you're actually on a freeway via geolocation data. Are there any videos or posts describing how capable it is for city driving currently?

Also, just got off the phone with two different Tesla advisors, one of whom is the manager for my region. They both informed me that there are no immediate plans to implement any sort of AP 2.0 hardware and that current AP was 3 years in the making, of course they'll also still continue to roll out software updates for current tech (as expected). Moreover, the manager stated that the Model X units being delivered have the SAME AP tech as the Model S, no improved/dual camera design.

Last edited:
My understanding from watching Amnon Shashua, the hardware that is in Tesla now, will not allow semi autonomous city driving - that's targeted for CY2018.

Brains, Minds Machines Seminar Series: Computer Vision that is changing our lives - YouTube

This doesn't mean that Tesla owners don't use current AP in the city. Stop and go on a freeway is an example of that.

I've used it in city driving and it's generally really good (with good street markings), with the major proviso that it doesn't handle intersections (stop lights and stop signs) at all.

As with any assisted driving, you have to be monitoring it at all times, but it can provide substantial value in the city if you're willing to babysit it.

I've used it in city driving and it's generally really good (with good street markings), with the major proviso that it doesn't handle intersections (stop lights and stop signs) at all.

As with any assisted driving, you have to be monitoring it at all times, but it can provide substantial value in the city if you're willing to babysit it.
That should help A LOT for trips to bigger cities - e.g. LA.