Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2 fail - service center says wait for firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My service center claims that my AP refuses to engage because of a needed firmware update. The MX was built in Nov/Dec.

Is anyone else hit by this one? I'm ask My because they sent me home with a firmware update which they said would fix the issue but it failed.

Now I am waiting for exactly the same thing with 0 faith it will work on the next update.

You might have a camera pitch angle issue. (Triple cameras pointing physically too much up- or downwards.)

A Service Bulletin ("fix") is already in place, requiring your Service Centre to disassemble the triple camera enclosure, adjust or replace the camera assembly.

Elon tweeted a while back that they would try to fix it OTA with new firmware. I guess that hasn't been such a great success ...

Source? Why wouldn't the SC just adjust the camera?
Per some sources on the other thread, the problem isn't just limited to the adjustment of the camera. Some early build AP2 cars apparently have different camera models, and there is something related to the software support for those cameras that causes those cars to eventually lose AP2.

There is a remote procedure to temporarily restore AP2, but the permanent fix is in software. People have had mixed luck (usually correlated to how much they complain to service) of getting the temporary fix done.

• Helpful
Reactions: Michelx
I can confirm the 17.17.4 update for AP2 cars fixes the "cruise not available" bug. I got the update last night. Went for a test drive this morning and luckily everything is working. This was the first time in three weeks the bug didn't show up. Cruise control and autopilot work great and the automatic headlights now work. The release notes say automatic emergency breaking is active and the limitation on the 35 mph on local roads has been lifted, now it will go 5 mph over the speed limit like AP1 cars.

I can confirm the 17.17.4 update for AP2 cars fixes the "cruise not available" bug. I got the update last night. Went for a test drive this morning and luckily everything is working. This was the first time in three weeks the bug didn't show up. Cruise control and autopilot work great and the automatic headlights now work. The release notes say automatic emergency breaking is active and the limitation on the 35 mph on local roads has been lifted, now it will go 5 mph over the speed limit like AP1 cars.
Can't wait to get this update.