TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP 2, HUD = Bye Bye Side View Mirrors?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by erthquake, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. erthquake

erthquake Member

I just saw FF's latest teaser photo showing the lack of side view mirrors, and it got me thinking. We know that Tesla has been hiring video game developers. A heads up display seems to be imminent. AP 2.0 hardware has cameras and sensors all over the place.

Why should I have to take my eyes off the road and turn my head to look in a mirror to see who's on the side of me? All that information can be put right in front of me with a well-designed HUD. Arguably, a HUD can alert a driver about cars moving rapidly into an adjacent lane from behind better than checking mirrors and blindspots.

I'm now thinking AP 2 is the first step toward getting rid of the side view mirrors and improving aerodynamics. Once they have refined the HUD enough, they can then say the mirrors are superfluous and do away with them.

Thoughts?

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Won't happen until the laws requiring side-view mirrors are updated/removed. (Tesla has wanted to do this from early on.)

3. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Unfortunately, Tesla has to comply the NHTSA regulations in the US, which require side mirrors... Other countries have similar regulations...

• Like x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Tesla's wanted to get rid of the mirrors for years - and any AP2 car has cameras perfectly suited to replace mirrors (though they aren't color cameras.)

But as a couple folks have said, they have to wait for NHTSA to release new rules - initially expected a couple years ago, but it hasn't happened yet.

• Like x 1
  5. erthquake

erthquake Member

Right. I'm hoping the HUD performance, backed by the tons of data collected by Tesla, will convince the NHTSA to move forward.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Pure speculation based on nothing more than Elon tweeting once that the Model 3 driving controls will be like a "spaceship".

If there is no HUD at the final Model 3 reveal, I expect a lot of complaining.

And it seems almost certain that every Tesla built in 2017 will be required by law to have side mirrors.

7. erthquake

erthquake Member

Granted, this is all speculation. Though I think the Tesla glass developments also suggest a HUD is coming. But I didn't mean to imply that the mirrors are going away as soon as the HUD appears, only that HUD offers a proving ground to demonstrate the mirrors are no longer needed. I'd guess we're at 2-5 years away from the mirrors going away from a regulation standpoint.

8. Dynastar

Dynastar Member

In other words, we could have self-driving cars that are still required to have side-view mirrors.

9. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

The Nvidia px2 presentation at CES mentioned that full automation basically eliminates the need for them

10. Altes

Altes Member

Maybe tesla could "leak" access to the ap2 cameras and someone could delelop retrofit kit to delete side mirrors . I'm down for developing the hardware bits if this happens!!

11. Algbc

Algbc Member

way back in 2012 tesla did that with model X

but I guess NHTSA did not approve. I wish tesla kept the touch screen control for steering wheel tho.

• Like x 1