Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2, HUD = Bye Bye Side View Mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

erthquake

Mar 16, 2016
California
I just saw FF's latest teaser photo showing the lack of side view mirrors, and it got me thinking. We know that Tesla has been hiring video game developers. A heads up display seems to be imminent. AP 2.0 hardware has cameras and sensors all over the place.

Why should I have to take my eyes off the road and turn my head to look in a mirror to see who's on the side of me? All that information can be put right in front of me with a well-designed HUD. Arguably, a HUD can alert a driver about cars moving rapidly into an adjacent lane from behind better than checking mirrors and blindspots.

I'm now thinking AP 2 is the first step toward getting rid of the side view mirrors and improving aerodynamics. Once they have refined the HUD enough, they can then say the mirrors are superfluous and do away with them.

Thoughts?

Tesla's wanted to get rid of the mirrors for years - and any AP2 car has cameras perfectly suited to replace mirrors (though they aren't color cameras.)

But as a couple folks have said, they have to wait for NHTSA to release new rules - initially expected a couple years ago, but it hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: MP3Mike
We know that Tesla has been hiring video game developers. A heads up display seems to be imminent.
Pure speculation based on nothing more than Elon tweeting once that the Model 3 driving controls will be like a "spaceship".

If there is no HUD at the final Model 3 reveal, I expect a lot of complaining.

And it seems almost certain that every Tesla built in 2017 will be required by law to have side mirrors.

Pure speculation based on nothing more than Elon tweeting once that the Model 3 driving controls will be like a "spaceship".

If there is no HUD at the final Model 3 reveal, I expect a lot of complaining.

And it seems almost certain that every Tesla built in 2017 will be required by law to have side mirrors.

Granted, this is all speculation. Though I think the Tesla glass developments also suggest a HUD is coming. But I didn't mean to imply that the mirrors are going away as soon as the HUD appears, only that HUD offers a proving ground to demonstrate the mirrors are no longer needed. I'd guess we're at 2-5 years away from the mirrors going away from a regulation standpoint.