Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.x - Learned something new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a loaner for a week (S 100D). One of the first things I noticed different from mine was the ease in which the auto steering disengages when making a lane change on non highway roads. In fact as soon as I would put the blinker on, it would disengage. The lane change is very smooth then I can reengage auto steer. With my X I really have to apply some force in order for the auto steer to disengage. To a point where the car swerves. I prefer to only disengaging the auto steer and not both steer and TACC to maintain speed. I few days in to the loaner experience, I noticed the auto lane change was not working on highways. I concluded it must have been turned off. So, I went to settings and turn it on. All of a sudden, the brute force auto steer disengagement was back. When I received my X back yesterday, I confirmed that with auto lane change off allows a smooth disengagement with very minimal force for non highway roads. I now prefer the setting to be off primarily. I will probably only turn it on when on extended highway drives. The S100D was AP 2.5. My X is AP 2.0. Saw the same behavior on both platforms.

Last edited:
This may have been a recent software update and I don’t think it’s hooked to auto lane change.... I just noticed this the other day, and I’m pretty sure it didn’t do that several releases ago. My X now (on 50.3) does the same thing. Drops out of AP when it can’t do the lane change itself and my auto lane change has been on since Day 1 in September.

When it shows you the dashed lines in the neighboring lanes, it can do the lane change. If it can’t, it (now) will drop out of AP and let you do it. I know it didn’t auto-disengage. I’m going to say it was 2017.48 to 2017.50 where this happened.

I'm pretty sure this was due to one of the recent updates (I have AP2.0 currently with 50.3). This used to drive me crazy before as lane change was too aggressive for my taste so I would always have to break autosteer in order to keep TACC engaged. Now it almost feels like autosteer disengaged quickly and easily in anticipation that you will change lane when you turn on your turn signal (auto lane change option off).

With the last update, 50.3, my auto lane change also has become so abrupt that my wife won't let me use it when she is in the car. Hopefully it will go back to being smooth with the next update. I'll try turning off the feature and do some test drives to see if that is better.

ALC can now squeeze into much tinier gaps in cars and much much better assesses all nearby traffic and more accurately tracks them as they slow or accelerate. It still will accelerate and then brake as it does the lane change.

While it is a lot more "confident" in the lane change, it is not nearly as abrupt as an earlier firmware that would literally jerk passengers as it changed lanes. This cuts in and gets the job done efficiently. I do not mind.

As fas as wheel "tension" that actually varies across firmwares. Sometimes it is tight and will result in some swerving if you try to override AS. Sometimes it gives up without a fight. Some of that also depends on how confident AS is (i.e. if lane markings become poor it will allow easier takeover but if its very confident, it maintains a rigid "grip" on the wheel).