Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 3.0: Upgrade from AP 2.0/2.5.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t matter if one has bought the software or not. They are as it is today falsely advertising their product by stating the car already today has the hardware installed to be FSD. It has no mention that purchasing the software is a prerequisite for this to be true.

You are *painfully* out of focus here.

Every computer is advertised with it's CAPABILITIES, complete with the understanding that, for more advanced things, you need to buy the software to support it. I don't expect to buy a computer without and Operating System.

Video games are ALWAYS advertised showing games - software - that you have to buy.

When I bought my Model 3 over 6 months ago, it was made QUITE CLEAR that FSD was not yet available and that this was a 'pre-purchase'.

As of next year sometime I assume that new cars will ship with AP3. And then the statement will be true so far as is known.

All of the AP2/2.5 cars will be upgraded to AP3, based on some priority system, as there is no way they will be able to transition 300k+ cars quickly. Based on Elons statements it would seem that the cars with FSD software will be the highest priority. It would also seem that there is currently no need for AP3 in order to run EAP. Therefore there will be no advantage to having AP3 for "just" EAP, and you're not missing out by remaining on a 2/2.5 computer.

Should you choose to buy FSD, your priority will be elevated and you will receive the hardware with your software upgrade. There is no fee for the HW upgrade. I think that on this basis Tesla is meeting the intent of the statements made at sale.

The only wrinkle that has been introduced is that because the FSD problem turned out to require more hardware, you need to visit service as part of the FSD activation.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The only wrinkle that has been introduced is that because the FSD problem turned out to require more hardware, you need to visit service as part of the FSD activation.

Accessing the AP2/2.5 computer to upgrade to AP3 is easy. It's behind the glove box, and I think he or someone said that the Tesla Mobile Rangers can do it, so if that's is indeed true (we'll find out spring or summer 2019), then you won't have to visit a service center. Just call the Tesla Mobile Ranger to come do it at your home or at work in a public parking lot.

It doesn’t matter if one has bought the software or not. They are as it is today falsely advertising their product by stating the car already today has the hardware installed to be FSD. It has no mention that purchasing the software is a prerequisite for this to be true.
So unless they upgrade all cars with the new chip they are not as of today delivering the product they are advertising.
I am only looking at this from a legal and marketing perspective,

The case is that when you purchase the car you purchase a set of hardware, and this hardware should be capable of doing what’s advertised. If one choose to use all features or not is irrelevant, and having to pay to unlock features has nothing to do with it. When paying for they feature you are paying for the software, because as they have stated, the car is already delivered with the capable hardware (which is no longer true).

Once you purchase the FSD software you'll get the necessary upgrade, but until then what you have is what you will always have because you made the decision to only have EAP (a decision you made yourself). You gotta pay to play .

So no one is concerned that Tesla deciding to go their own way will occupy them another 1 or 2 years just replicating functionality they had working on their previous platform?

I’m not. Supposedly the software is already running in test cars.

This should not be live the mobileye to teslavision transition where Tesla vision was and still is under development, rather teslavision is being migrated to the new chip. Warts and all.

Once you purchase the FSD software you'll get the necessary upgrade, but until then what you have is what you will always have because you made the decision to only have EAP (a decision you made yourself). You gotta pay to play .
..... unless (like me) you already paid for fsd a year ago with the initial purchase. At that time i strongly suspected the hardware would require upgrades and i wanted to lock in my cost at $2000

..... unless (like me) you already paid for fsd a year ago with the initial purchase. At that time i strongly suspected the hardware would require upgrades and i wanted to lock in my cost at $2000
Many did that as well. I did that for both my Model S and Model X. Now just waiting for the free AP3 upgrade along with the software in summer 2019.

Reactions: pilotSteve