TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AP 7.1 Following Motorcycle - Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by asudan, Jan 28, 2016.

1. asudan

asudan Member

#1 asudan, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I thought I'd share this video I shot in bumper to bumper traffic following a motorcycle.

First I'll say it did extremely well. The only hiccup was when the motorcycle veered on to the left most lane line (to see around traffic?) the AP lost him and the car started to track the car ahead and sped up. I was waiting for this to happen as he moved more and more to the left so I was already on the brakes. Be careful, however, if you are following a motorcycle. (I don't think this part was in the video - it was later on)

2. McRat

McRat Active Member

Yes, it is common when riding in traffic to go the left or right to see around tall vehicles. The center area of a lane is also where oil/debris collect, so it's better to be on one side or the other anyhow.

3. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

What did you have your following distance set to?

4. asudan

asudan Member

4 I believe.

5. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Oh god, that following distance in the OP would drive me insane. I need WAY more buffer, as the car driver following the bike. Also, in driving class, they teach us the bikes want WAY more buffer behind them, more than cars get behind them, and AT LEAST as much as a car.