TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP abuse - this is a whole new level of idiot...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by arubinst, Jun 2, 2018.

1. arubinst

arubinst Member

So this kid rents a Model S (yes, it’s not even his own car!) because he wants to eat In-n-Out burgers while being driven by AP.

He sais in the video that he’s done a lot of research about it and it’s perfectly safe...

• Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

We all suffer with intrusive computer nannies to cover the most idiotic drivers like this.

• Like x 5
  3. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Didn’t seem that bad to me. I’ve double-handed a greasy meal while watching the road and letting AP do its thing plenty of times.

• Like x 10
    • Disagree x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Along these lines, there's this Tesla driver (not a renter): Autopilot steering wheel hack. :rolleyes:

Be sure to look at his responses to those telling him not to (including me). :mad:

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

If eating In-n-out on AP is a crime, I’m way past three strikes. I came in here expecting to see some serious ghostriding of whips or someone doing blow off the top of the steering wheel or something. Not a kid... eating a burger.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
  6. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Why not? Eliminating the nag flash and not watching the road is two completely different things.

• Like x 3
  7. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Oh yes, like they guy with the hand simulator in the link, the more your put your mind at ease that the machine is competent, the more likely you will die on the road.

I reserve AP for lonely streches of highway, always hands on knees and looking forward at the road ahead, once congestion starts near a town I go manual.

OP you are so right.

• Like x 2
  8. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

It would be cute to watch an ER doctor try to remove a Double-Double from your sinus cavities after the airbag deployment.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#9 TaoJones, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Eating while driving? This doesn't even rate a merit badge.

How incalculably underwhelming.

I am dumber for having read this thread.

Edit: I am soooooooooooo tempted to offer up some truly award-winning behavior. However, youse would all need to sign NDAs *and*, on top of that, promise to never attempt the replication of said behavior.

Eh. Never mind.

And no, neither midgets (er, the vertically-challenged) nor farm animals (nor farm implements) were involved. Simultaneously or otherwise.

As far as you know.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  10. svp6

svp6 Member

Somebody has to be an organ donor - he may become one soon. I sure hope he does not live anywhere close to me. And for those supportive of his attitude, fell free to take a ride with him at the wheel - you may change your mind.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Lol. You’ve never eaten while driving before? Give me a break.

• Like x 8
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I've only watched bits of the video and I guess he was doing this in LA, so it's not anywhere near me, fortunately.

But yeah, this guy is moron.

13. donv

donv Member

Most people eat and drive without any sort of autopilot at all, so I would think this is an improvement!

• Like x 10
  14. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

While driving? Seriously? Something like a hamburger you eat with two hands? Perhaps a whole chicken or a slice of watermelon?

Not really. But then again, I haven't shot skeet or snorted coke while driving either, so perhaps I'm doing it all wrong. :D

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  15. croman

croman Active Member

AP abuse or maybe the whole point of AP vs. everyone else? As others have mentioned, this is not an uncommon sight (or worse, phones which mentally distract as well as visually distract). If you want AP abuse check out this:

Elon Musk’s wife shows how (not) to use Tesla Autopilot [Video]

Elon doesn't touch the wheel. Talks with his hands. Repeatedly calls it hands free.

Now I wonder if Elon is also an idiot?

• Helpful x 1
  16. MrAustraliaTax

Sooner or later your luck will run out and AP will try to randomly kill you just at the very moment when you won't be able to react quickly enough.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  17. Hota

Hota Member

I wouldn't call this a whole new level of idiot. From the title, I expected him to be riding in the backseat and eating instead of doing something safer than 95% of non-Autopilot drivers have done...eating a burger and driving with their knee.

• Like x 3
  18. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

So let's get this clear

Eventually, Autopilot will enable us to have full self driving, meaning you can take a nap or simply not do anything but be present and the car will drive you to your destination without you having to steer or accelerate

But in the meantime, simply eating a burger while allowing the car to drive and steer itself (which it has the capability of doing and improves every mile driven) while still paying attention to the road and being ready to take over is abusing the system?

Hmmm...

I think there may be some confusion about the purpose of current autopilot and the future of full autonomy

19. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Eating hamburgers isn't actually common while actively driving. Probably because it can screw up your clothes and car, and it takes two hands. Not to mention it takes under 5 minutes to actually enjoy your fast food while parked in the lot and you can throw the trash away.

Perhaps stupid folk eat burgers while driving, and yes there are a lot of stupid folk, but I'd venture to guess most Freeway Chow Hounds stick to less messy food that can be eaten with one hand.

PS - But you do make a good point. Never buy a used car from a fat person. :D

• Like x 1
  20. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

In-n-out actually asks you if you’ll be eating in the car. It’s a standard question in the drive thru. If you say yes they put your food in a cardboard box/tray instead of a bag.

• Informative x 4