Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP abuse - this is a whole new level of idiot...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eating while driving? This doesn't even rate a merit badge.

How incalculably underwhelming.

I am dumber for having read this thread.

Edit: I am soooooooooooo tempted to offer up some truly award-winning behavior. However, youse would all need to sign NDAs *and*, on top of that, promise to never attempt the replication of said behavior.

Eh. Never mind.

And no, neither midgets (er, the vertically-challenged) nor farm animals (nor farm implements) were involved. Simultaneously or otherwise.

As far as you know.

Let me guess @TaoJones ....Hmmmmm.... one shakeweight, a flesh light, nicely cooled engel fridge, one human cadaver ear and a gas mask? I think I just had an idea for a Carl's Jr. commercial combined with Project Loveday...

Especially when he's eating the fries (with one hand holding a fry tray and one hand holding a greasy clump of cheese fries) it's pretty clear that it would take a fairly long time for him to get his hands back on the wheel, even if he is paying attention to the road. What he's doing is incredibly far from alway keeping a hand on the wheel and always paying attention to the road. And he seems to be seeing AP as an excuse to drive this way (I.e. like any sane person he wouldn't try this stunt in a car without AP).

What scares me is that a lot of Tesla owners posting on this thread seem to think this is a more or less reasonable way to use autopilot.

But he said something about the cheese fries being too messy to eat while driving, was going to wait and eat them in a parking lot, then hit stop and go traffic. When he was eating with both hands like you talk about it was during stop and go traffic, not at full highway speed.

If he had to he could just hit the brakes, come to a full stop, put the food down and take over.

I don't have Autopilot so I don't know that I would go there (messy fast food while on autopilot) any time in the next few months. I definitely wouldn't have gone there my first day driving the car. Really that is my only complaint about the whole thing. Jumping straight into Autopilot on what 30 minutes use of the car?

Yeah, he fully crossed the line of what I'd be willing to do in a rented Tesla. But it isn't the fries that put me there, it's how the video starts with him discussing how he's never driven the car before.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jaguar36 and croman
Your hasty generalization needs but one data point to prove it false. I am one of such data points, as I've been a licensed driver for over 20 years and I've never eaten while driving. It's not something I even consider doing.

Observation of poor behavior performed by others does not remove the "poor" part.

<COUGH> Bull$h!t... <COUGH>

My wife claims she's never in her life farted, either....

Let me guess @TaoJones ....Hmmmmm.... one shakeweight, a flesh light, nicely cooled engel fridge, one human cadaver ear and a gas mask? I think I just had an idea for a Carl's Jr. commercial combined with Project Loveday...

*twitch* Yanno, there are some things that you just cannot un-see - keeping in mind that I already hold Carl's Jr in sufficiently low regard for their abomination of a host property (and the worst restrooms at any SC in North America) at Quartzsite, Arizona - and your paragraph directly above DOTH INDEED QUALIFY, senor.

Speaking of things you can't un-see... here's the best way ever to celebrate a friend's Halloween birthday (especially since there's an SC at Marathon Key).

What about driving and putting makeup?

I can see easy implementation of the task with autopilot /for the record - I am male and do not use any kind of makeup/
Makeup is probably a bit riskier than eating because you have to watch your face pretty carefully.
With my KFC potato and gravy, a quick glance at the tub for spoon aiming is all that’s required, although a loading confirmation glance is sometimes advised.

What about driving and putting makeup?

I can see easy implementation of the task with autopilot /for the record - I am male and do not use any kind of makeup/

But with your lovely cheekbones, we really should think about a base rouge that will highlight them, also the eyeliner will help, maybe @Acho is born with it, maybe it’s maybelin

• Funny
Reactions: Acho
I'll go on record as saying I've downed more than one burger and I believe it was done with minimal added risk and saved me 10 minutes of time.

Really, Tesla shouldn't locate their superchargers near 5 Guys locations.

The only good point that I heard on this thread is the point by @dhanson865 that this was a novice user of both the car and autopilot and he should've better familiarized himself with everything prior to using the system in this manner. That's the only reasonable point against...

The rest is pure sanctimonious nonsense.

So is this how you make money on YouTube posting daily videos of this level of banality?

''totally weird idea for a video''... whatever happened to driving with your knees while eating a burger? I thought we all did that.. AP only makes it easier!

Kids discovering life like they invented it I tell you..

Reactions: SSonnentag
The peripheral vision isn't the problem, it's the several seconds required to;

1. appreciate a dangerous situation evolving...via peripheral vision whilst concentrating on something else
2. put down the two-handed food item, and
3. react appropriately to the hazard

I strongly doubt #2 is even possible in any other form than just immediately dropping it. You’ll be on #3 before you’re even consciously aware there’s a problem.