Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP abuse - this is a whole new level of idiot...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol. You’ve never eaten while driving before? Give me a break.

I did. A sandwich. With one hand on the wheel at all times. The fact that I was young and dumb does not make it right.

So I reiterate - unfortunately someone will become an organ donor. It is true that young people have a sense of invincibility. Sadly I see too often the end-result of that. Condoning it with a chuckle may make you look cool ("See kids, I am on your side !"), but does not solve the problem.

Of course, many here who have great reflexes, awesome peripheral vision, are able to scan the road and anticipate dangers can still enjoy a great meal while autopilot holds the road for them. Surely, nothing can go wrong.

Reactions: cwerdna
We don't allow people to eat in our cars. They usually still look and smell new years later. Funny how that works.

My parents had that rule. I love my car too much.

BWD mode and a 12V vac. My daughter eats lunch everyday after I get her from school. People still comment our car looks and smells new 17 months later. YMMV.

P.S. Raspberry and mango stains come out easily from alcantara.

4 pages of comments, and not a single person that pointed out the most obvious mistake he made.

He ate in someone ELSE'S car.

It's one thing to eat in your own car, and to get grease on the wheel. But, it's completely different to mess up someone else's car.

People have no respect for other people's property.

Reactions: ahkahn and twonius
I did. A sandwich. With one hand on the wheel at all times. The fact that I was young and dumb does not make it right.

So I reiterate - unfortunately someone will become an organ donor. It is true that young people have a sense of invincibility. Sadly I see too often the end-result of that. Condoning it with a chuckle may make you look cool ("See kids, I am on your side !"), but does not solve the problem.

Of course, many here who have great reflexes, awesome peripheral vision, are able to scan the road and anticipate dangers can still enjoy a great meal while autopilot holds the road for them. Surely, nothing can go wrong.
So you can't handle it and it's fine.

I think on the scale of dangerous driving habits, there are a whole bunch of habits out there that need to be adressed way before eating at the wheel needs to be even considered as potentially harmful:

DUI
Speeding
Texting
Sleeping
Road rage / bullying
Putting on makeup
Failing to signal
Shorting-circuiting waiting lines
Tailgating
Brake-checking
Cutting off heavyweights

Anything else?

Mind you, I'm not saying you're wrong in the absolute, just that sometimes ranting about something trivial in the absolute when considering all other often self-destructing misbehaviors going on out there just dissolves the relevancy of the point you're trying to make.

In the meantime, bagel and coffee this morning while driving my kids to school actually helped keeping me awake so I can officially say check on #4. :p

Didn’t seem that bad to me. I’ve double-handed a greasy meal while watching the road and letting AP do its thing plenty of times.
My objection to the video is partly that he is obviously using Autopilot for the first time and being very trusting of it with no experience. One thing we have all learned is that Autopilot has its limitations and the prudent driver will understand those thoroughly before taking the sort of risks this young guy took. He was simply too trusting and could have gotten into trouble. He admits at one point that he is holding the video camera with two hands, so he'd have been hard-pressed to take evasive action if he had to. Videos like that will surely add to the risk that regulators will crack down on this type of functionality.
As an aside, i am amazed that this guy has a million subscribers!

Reactions: MrAustraliaTax
My objection to the video is partly that he is obviously using Autopilot for the first time and being very trusting of it with no experience. One thing we have all learned is that Autopilot has its limitations and the prudent driver will understand those thoroughly before taking the sort of risks this young guy took. He was simply too trusting and could have gotten into trouble. He admits at one point that he is holding the video camera with two hands, so he'd have been hard-pressed to take evasive action if he had to. Videos like that will surely add to the risk that regulators will crack down on this type of functionality.
As an aside, i am amazed that this guy has a million subscribers!
Yeah that’s a fair point. I certainly didn’t do that the first day I had the car.
I’m also not sure how he has a million subscribers. My suspicion is that the human race is in serious trouble.

Reactions: David29