Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP accutacy in version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now have v9 but am waiting to hear others experience with AP before i try. Is it more accurate on lanes? Notice cars on either side seem to jump side to side appearing to touch my car but thats not their driving. Does ver9 use side and rear camera in auto pilot? Does the display instability affect the AP DRIVING?

So now have v9 but am waiting to hear others experience with AP before i try. Is it more accurate on lanes? Notice cars on either side seem to jump side to side appearing to touch my car but thats not their driving. Does ver9 use side and rear camera in auto pilot? Does the display instability affect the AP DRIVING?

Don't confuse the display with autopilot.
It is already pretty accurate on lanes, what specifically are you referring to

I think that display images jumping as object move from 1 camera view to the next is the new normal, perhaps until some further updates. But I think AP is not negatively affected by it based on my few dats using v9

It still has issues with merging. Even with the wide cameras active it doesn't understand that the car going 60mph merging on the freeway will eventually hit you when their lane ends. It's also worst now when your lane becomes double wide. Car will slam on the brake to evacuate what it's seeing. Almost got rear ended by a F150 this morning.

It's a step forward in one area but a side side or step backwards in others. Maybe after awhile it will learn and adept but overall I think it's a good update.

It still has issues with merging. Even with the wide cameras active it doesn't understand that the car going 60mph merging on the freeway will eventually hit you when their lane ends. It's also worst now when your lane becomes double wide. Car will slam on the brake to evacuate what it's seeing. Almost got rear ended by a F150 this morning.

It's a step forward in one area but a side side or step backwards in others. Maybe after awhile it will learn and adept but overall I think it's a good update.
I can inderstand that, it must "think" it lost the lane or indecision over which side to follow?

I was at a stoplight. Cars all around me stopped. The screen image of the car next to me was bouncing sideways back and forth. The actual car was not moving, nor was I. This behavior of the screen image in v9 is the same or similar to the behavior in v8, except that now it shows cars all around rather than just in front. It cannot seem to decide where the adjacent car is. Sometimes the image of the other car touched the image of mine. The actual car was in the center of its lane and I was in the center of mine.

This does not give me confidence of its ability to avoid hitting cars in adjacent lanes when they do get too close to the line. When I'm on the highway and there's a car next to me or approaching that seems too close to the line, I disengage AP. This seems like the cautious thing to do. AP is a beta feature and seems unable to accurately judge the position of nearby or approaching cars. It's very good at staying in its lane, but sometimes that's not enough.

Reactions: fiatlux
I noticed the same behavior and decided to jump on the forums to see if others were experiencing the same thing. Whether or not it is directly tied to autopilot, it’s not confidence-inspiring. Actually, I’m somewhat surprised they would have released v9 with this behavior. What use is it showing positioning of cars to the side/rear if the display erratically shows the cars hitting you. Cars coming up on adjacent lanes are displayed as clipping the rear quarter panel of the car, and then suddenly jumping away to the side as the cars passes by. Seems like something they should’ve ironed out.

Reactions: fiatlux
Even the erratic behavior is useful to alert you to the fact there's a car there. As with AP, you should always check and be alert. But having one more reminder is an added safety feature as long as you don't rely on it exclusively.

Per the couple of threads discussing AP2+ technicalities, sounds like the display is just a simple interpretation of the much more complex data the AP is using (a "probability cloud"). So how do you find the "center" of a probability cloud with just a simple calculation? Maybe they'll come up with something more stable, like more filtering, for a future update. I'd rather see it jitter around than wait another few months until it's stable on my screen.

Reactions: T-Will
Per the couple of threads discussing AP2+ technicalities, sounds like the display is just a simple interpretation of the much more complex data the AP is using (a "probability cloud"). So how do you find the "center" of a probability cloud with just a simple calculation? Maybe they'll come up with something more stable, like more filtering, for a future update. I'd rather see it jitter around than wait another few months until it's stable on my screen.

Is AP really using a "probability cloud" to determine whether an oncoming car is sufficiently in its own lane for me to pass it safely?

I actually assumed it was not considering the oncoming cars at all, and it's my job to disengage AP if a car appears to be too close to the line. Otherwise AP just tries to keep my car in its own lane. Meanwhile, I'll continue to take over the driving if I think another car is too close or is not keeping well enough in its own lane.

I can inderstand that, it must "think" it lost the lane or indecision over which side to follow?

I'm not sure how this can be fixed but if the car was following between 2 lines then the car should stay tracked to the left or the right line if one disappears.

Also, V9 seems to be scared of high wind. Never done this before in v8, but today the car will drift left and right where there was cross wind. Car couldn't stay centered in an area where a human driver was able to compensate and stayed straight.

I'm sure with more data the car will learn. In my past experiences with AP the car learns very fast.

I was at a stoplight. Cars all around me stopped. The screen image of the car next to me was bouncing sideways back and forth. The actual car was not moving, nor was I. This behavior of the screen image in v9 is the same or similar to the behavior in v8, except that now it shows cars all around rather than just in front. It cannot seem to decide where the adjacent car is. Sometimes the image of the other car touched the image of mine. The actual car was in the center of its lane and I was in the center of mine.

This does not give me confidence of its ability to avoid hitting cars in adjacent lanes when they do get too close to the line. When I'm on the highway and there's a car next to me or approaching that seems too close to the line, I disengage AP. This seems like the cautious thing to do. AP is a beta feature and seems unable to accurately judge the position of nearby or approaching cars. It's very good at staying in its lane, but sometimes that's not enough.

Yup. I see the exact same thing. Didn’t seem to affect anything while driving but doesn’t make me feel good :)

Is AP really using a "probability cloud" to determine whether an oncoming car is sufficiently in its own lane for me to pass it safely?

I actually assumed it was not considering the oncoming cars at all, and it's my job to disengage AP if a car appears to be too close to the line. Otherwise AP just tries to keep my car in its own lane. Meanwhile, I'll continue to take over the driving if I think another car is too close or is not keeping well enough in its own lane.
I think it does. I had it engaged this morning during some strong Santa Anas, and it seemed to deliberately slow down/hang back for a few seconds as I passed a semi that was weaving a bit in the right lane.