Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP almost ran two stop signs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I took a short 40 min trip to Midland and decided to test AP’s stop sign detection. I installed 2020.48.12.1 yesterday and wanted to see if there was any improvements.

I usually kick AP out at this particular intersection but I wanted to see how it would do, and.... well it did stop, I’ll give it that...but it was a panic stop, with the car screaming at me to take over immediately.

The intersection I’m talking about can be found here.
(32.0466459, -102.2753500)

I went thru the intersection twice first going south, then North. It was dark but weather was clear and there wasn’t much traffic.

The Stop signs in both directions are right after a slight corner, so the cameras do not have a direct LOS until you are a couple hundred feet from the stop line.

There are yellow flashing lights and warning signs that indicate there is a stop ahead, but AP incorrectly identified these yellow lights, as yellow before red stop lights. This caused a random jerky deceleration as I passed the warning signs. Then the car accelerated around the corner only to slam on the brakes to avoid running the stop sign.

Is this “normal” behavior for AP? I don’t seam to remember it driving quite so....”teenager” like, before the last couple updates.

As far as I understand, FSD beta does complete “stop sign recognition”. Our AP stop sign and stop light feature uses maps mainly, then recognition secondly. This is why I’ve seen the car warn of upcoming stop signs around a bend before it’s line-of-sight/visible. So if your stop sign isn’t in your Tesla’s map data, it may not know to stop (until it’s either added to your map data or you get FSD).

Last edited:
As far as I understand, FSD beta does complete “stop sign recognition”. Our AP stop sign and stop light feature uses maps mainly, then recognition secondly. This is why I’ve seen the car warn of upcoming stop signs around a bend before it’s line-of-sight/visible. So if your stop sign isn’t in your Tesla’s map data, it may not know to stop (until it’s either added to your map data or you get FSD).

I was thinking the same thing, that this 4 way intersection’s traffic control is not in the preloaded map data. Does the beta utilize “stop ahead” signs to appropriately slow down on approach when there is no los of traffic controls?

I have a few intersections where the car appears it will run the stop sign, and I have to intervene. I think it’s incorrect map data that allows this to happen. They (Tesla) does fix this, as with the most recent update (2020.48.12.1), one such stop sign that gave me issues now works fine, with the “stopping for traffic control in 600ft” now appearing.

its not great in this release and not got at slowing down for things it can't see - especially when its some form of traffic control around a corner with other cars already waiting, that always gives a panic braking response.
Only just got 48.12.1 so haven't tried it yet to see how it responds to those flashing yellow warning signs, previous releases would sometimes ignore and sometimes panic brake.

Can't say I'm impressed with current traffic control beta or the "visual" speed limit system - especially in Texas. It used to be pretty relaxing, but now previously well handled roads are AP no-go zones when it decides a 70mph road is now a 35 zone (looking at 290 between Austin and Houston)