Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP and TACC disabled while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving on the freeway using AP. Suddenly the system starts alarming and I had to take over control. No issues during drive otherwise. Cameras appear clear. Everything else works fine.

Drove home. Parked it. Did a manual reset (two scroll wheels down and brake depresses). It did not work. Tech support tells me to drive it some more. Drove for 50 miles. Still not back. AP and tacc not working.

Any thought??

Attachments

• 162A8D3B-5B8B-4705-83A2-63E74009B2E8.jpeg
    162A8D3B-5B8B-4705-83A2-63E74009B2E8.jpeg
    549.6 KB · Views: 99
I was driving on the freeway using AP. Suddenly the system starts alarming and I had to take over control. No issues during drive otherwise. Cameras appear clear. Everything else works fine.

Drove home. Parked it. Did a manual reset (two scroll wheels down and brake depresses). It did not work. Tech support tells me to drive it some more. Drove for 50 miles. Still not back. AP and tacc not working.

Any thought??
I would follow the directions on the screen: take it to the service center

I have had this happen several times, in several different weather conditions, and at different times of the day and night. My opinion is that the software still has some issues and one should be prepared at any time to take over. I personally don’t think the software is worth the $5k upgrade yet. I am hopeful that Ver 9 will solve many of the issues we are experiencing.

I had this happen once when the sun was at just the wrong angle when starting the car. I happened to be a couple of blocks from the service center and dropped in when rebooting the car didn't work. There was some procedure they did with the remote several feet away from the car that reset the AP hardware (a car reboot doesn't reboot the AP hardware). I forgot the exact procedure at the moment.

I think it had to do with locking and unlocking the car a certain way, but you don't have a key fob with the M3 so the procedure is probably different.

Never had this happen while driving, but it happens to me routinely ( ~ once / month ).

Rebooting does nothing but letting the car shut down fixes it: walk away, wait til the mirrors fold in, wait about 2 minutes, walk back and all is well. I’ve spoken to Roadside Assistance several times about this and was told they are aware of an intermittent issue when the car powers up. Was also told if the aforementioned procedure didn’t work to call and ask for a remote reset.

Slightly annoying but the fix is simple.

So it happened to me again this Friday during a 60 mph cruise on a sunny day. I reported the issue with the toggle switch then called and talked to customer service during my drive. This was my second call to Tesla service about the issue. I talked to a very nice employee who moved my issue to engineering. About 4 hours later I received a text from Tesla informing me that they reviewed my logs and appreciated all the times I reported the TACC and AP not working. Tesla is going to replace my drive computer. It may take 2-3 weeks to get sent to the Indy service center. They also indicated that the car continues to be safe to drive. Saturday we drove it and it kicked me out of AP twice during my 160 mile round trip. Keep logging your issues when they happen and report the to Tesla service as it appears this issue is hardware related.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner