TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP applied the brakes while changing lane..

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by DanH, May 27, 2018.

1. DanH

DanH Member

I got my 3 for over a month now and the car had been great until Autopilot behaved strangely today as it was trying to change lane. I was traveling on the 405N (~6:30 PM) at approximately 75 mph with AP enabled. After checking for clearance on the right lane, I signaled for AP to change lane. As expected the car moved over, but for no apparent reason AP applied the brakes pretty hard as though it was trying to stop the car. There was no car in the front. As for the rear, the distance of the car behind was pretty far luckily. We were in middle lane of the freeway. Noticing the car had slowed down significantly, I quickly stepped on the accelerator to avoid rear ended and took over the steering wheel which jolted the car slightly as it disabled AP. It almost gave me and my wife a heart attack. I didn’t rengage AP for the remainder of the trip. Has anyone experience this while allowing AP to change lane?

I’m on 18.13 firmware.

• Informative x 1
  2. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

Some other forum members have reported this. My guess is that Tesla updated EAP to shave some speed off if it thinks there could be something solid in your path. It seems to happen with shadows when there aren't any other cars for EAP to follow.

PSA: CAREFUL--Autopilot sudden braking

3. Kanting

Kanting Member

There is no magic in EAP. Put your eye(s) and mind on the road, your hands on the wheel, and hover your foot on the pedals, and be ready to take over and undo any mistake caused by the driver assist feature or take full responsibility for using the beta function. Remember, you are not buying or enabling EAP for trouble.

• Like x 1
  4. DanH

DanH Member

Thank you! I remember glancing over that thread a week or two ago and didn’t think much of it. Definitely will follow it now and hopefully Tesla will provide a fix soon.

5. DanH

DanH Member

I will avoid enabling it at high speed for now until the issue is resolved.

6. Teslie

Teslie Member

How many years is EAP being sold ? And you still hope for updates to fix it ?

I don‘t think this behaviour can be fixed by updates.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

The version in the model 3? Less than 1. ANY version of EAP? Less than 2.

That's a pretty reasonable hope, given it's been steadily improved with updates that entire time.

Upon what specific facts do you base those thoughts?