Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP As Standard Equipment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Recently, Tesla tweaked Autopilot into two packages: regular, which allows automatic steering on highways and traffic-aware cruise control, and Full Self-Driving. Full Self-Driving includes the “Navigate on Autopilot” feature that suggests and makes lane changes, as well as navigates highway interchanges and exits. The regular package is what will now come standard with all Tesla cars."

I wonder if AP will be standard on all Model Y's too? I didn't order AP or self driving with mine as I enjoy driving. However, if they are going to include it I won't complain, it seems like a really cool feature.

Does that mean another price increase is coming for Model Y to make up for the included AP feature? If you are on the fence about ordering, now might be a good time to pull the trigger.

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is no longer available to order online

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Well they dropped the prices of the Model 3 across the board when they implemented this change so its actually working out much cheaper for most people with the new pricing. The only people who may pay more are those who wouldn't have ordered autopilot or options because base prices obviously went up with the reconfiguration. I'd suggest getting AP on your high spec car for resale purposes. Very few people want a high end Tesla with no autopilot.

I'm hoping Model Y has the same price adjustments. Would save me money.

Last edited:
So with Autopilot being bundled with all configurations now, the price of Autopilot purchased at time of sale has dropped by $1,000. Price on custom paint colors also seems to have dropped by $500.

These changes seem to only be reflected on the Model 3 order page so far. So I would expect to see updates to the S, X, and Y pages in the coming weeks. Hopefully once that's done, the prices on existing orders will be adjusted. Should mean around $1,500 less on many orders.

• Informative
Reactions: KRG21 and sleevin
I'm not concerned about resale value as I plan on keeping the car for the next 10 years and 120k miles and by then the car won't be worth much anyways. I'll think about adding it, but i'm already over budget on the spec as it is.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KRG21
This is good news only for people that want AP. I love AP on road trips and my daughter loves AP in stop and go LA traffic so I think it is a good deal as you are paying 2k more for the car instead of 3k (Tesla is not tossing it in for free). Tesla is spending a lot of money developing and maintaining the software so might as well charging all the cars for it. A side note, not sure if paint option is coming down, cannot compare to S and X, paint on M3 has been 500.00 less.

This would be awesome if they do something similar to the Y. I ordered FSD. and been thinking about changing the color from black to blue. The new pricing on the Y really turned me off. I can't even change the 19 in wheels to 18 in since it is only $500 cheaper instead of $1500. I don't mind keeping the 19, but really want the extra mileage that comes with the 18 in. reason why I got the 19 was because i didn't know there are actually a nice set of black rims underneath the hubcaps.

All the more reason IMO to wait. Tesla changes their pricing on everything seemingly monthly-quarterly. There is a lot of time between now and when Model Y exists (I am excited btw for the Y, just saying Elon/Tesla are all over the place with pricing, and it often bites people who go in early, or it helps them out if they wait from my experience).

Reactions: rembaz
I think the prices will only rise from here until production so I wanted to get my price locked in. There is already bipartisan support for another federal EV tax credit of $7500, if it passes, I definitely want to be one of the first to get my car to ensure I get that credit.

2 Republicans does not really count as "bipartisan support".

Your information is wrong.

"A bipartisan coalition introduced a bill in Congress today that would extend the one-time federal tax credit for buyers of electric, plug-in hybrid, and hydrogen-powered vehicles. The Driving America Forward Act, as it’s called, is sponsored by Senators Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Gary Peters (D-MI), and Susan Collins (R-ME) along with Congressman Dan Kildee (MI-05). It’s also supported by no fewer than 60 organizations, including automakers, environmental organizations, and electric vehicle suppliers."

Source: A Bipartisan Bill Is Introduced To Retain And Expand The Federal Electric-Car Tax Credits

Reactions: preilly44 and KRG21