TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AP auto lane change IS important

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by joer00, Jul 17, 2016.

1. joer00

joer00 Member

When I was first reading about AP lane change before it was available I thought it is pretty useless since one has to use the turn signal anyway, so hands are at the wheel and no big deal to just change the lane manually.

A parking sensor malfunction resulted in auto park and lane change disabled. With this experience I now believe that AP lane change is pretty much a must have! The problem is that if one does it manually, it would be best to first disengage autopilot because any forcing of the wheel to overcome AP results in a nasty yank and unstable lane changing.

So I am very glad I have this back after my sensor problem was fixed.

I am wondering, how to the other driver assist cars who do not have lane change do this ?

• Like x 1
  2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Since their lane keeping systems are several grades worse than useless, they're always off, so they just manually steer to change lanes like they always have.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. pdxrajiv

pdxrajiv Member

I like AP and auto lane change.
    One improvement that would make auto lane change better for me is if I could configure the delay between start of signaling a lane change and when the lane change actually occurs. When driving manually, I like to let other drivers know my intent a couple of seconds before I change lanes. The way auto lane change is currently programmed, other drivers get little to no warning regarding my intent.

I understand that people accustomed to more aggressive or congested driving may find my request/desire amusing. :)

• Like x 5
  4. 787steve

787steve Member

I am curious of your comment that manually disconnecting AP via turning wheel results in "nasty yank". We are awaiting delivery of our MS, but while on our overnight loaner ride, I tried to disconnect by steering and found it very easy to do so with little or no real redirecting of the driving vector. Was the one I was driving unusual, or is your experience unusual. I would like to hear from others about this. It could be that you might need to see SC. Anyone else have comments on this?
    Thanks

5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

In Houston, when people see a lane change signal, that's their cue to speed up and block you from moving over.

• Funny x 1
  6. Mickie

Mickie Member

That's a sign of weakness in Chicagoland-and I'm pretty sure any major city-and only signals "fellow" motorists to speed up and block your attempted lane change. Sorry, just venting. But yeah, make it customizable where you can have it delayed. I'd imagine that'd be a simple OTA push.

7. Mickie

Mickie Member

Joe called it out first. I didn't even descend the thread far enough before prattling off, but he gets it!

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

No yank really, just need to control the amount you push. If it's yankin' too hard, you're crankin' too hard.

The biggest improvement I'd like to see with lane change is the speed with which it recognizes a changeable lane. I use a long entrance ramp every day (fairly straight) and like to engage AP on it. But (lately, especially) when I try to use lane change to merge it takes a while to recognize the changeable lane, so I turn on the blinker and end up waiting about 5 seconds until it merges.

By then I've reached the end of the merge lane, so it looks goofy. I've stopped using it for entrance ramp merges until that gets faster.

9. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

There are a lot of things that Minnesotans do very poor at on the roads, but allowing people in is not one of them. When on the freeway in traffic & needing to change lanes I will turn on my turn signal and usually someone will give you space, even in heavy traffic.

10. pdxrajiv

pdxrajiv Member

Thus far, driver politeness comments on this thread conform to my personal experience.
    And to the stereotypes:). But there are enough exceptions to remind us that we do have choices.

• Like x 1
  11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I think he was referring to the effort that AP exerts at first to resist your turning the wheel. In my experience, AP quickly "gives up the fight" and cedes control to you.