Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP biases to the left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When driving in AP, my 2021 Model 3 feels like it drives slightly left of center in the lane. When driving in the fast lane on the freeway with a solid barrier on the left, the car feels uncomfortably close to the barrier, especially when the lane curves to the right.

I re calibrated the cameras to no effect. Tesla believes the issue may be caused by misalignment, though there is no evidence of excessive tire wear and the car steers straight.

Mindful of this thread, is the behavior I am experiencing considered normal, and if not, can it be corrected?

When driving in AP, my 2021 Model 3 feels like it drives slightly left of center in the lane. When driving in the fast lane on the freeway with a solid barrier on the left, the car feels uncomfortably close to the barrier, especially when the lane curves to the right.

I re calibrated the cameras to no effect. Tesla believes the issue may be caused by misalignment, though there is no evidence of excessive tire wear and the car steers straight.

Mindful of this thread, is the behavior I am experiencing considered normal, and if not, can it be corrected?
Have someone follow you and see if its actually too far left. I am betting you will find the car is in the center in the lane, but YOU dont drive in the center of the lane, especially when driving on the freeway with the solid barrier to the left. You probably hug the right side of the lane instinctively in that instance like almost everyone else does.

People move all over the lane, normally, if you watch them while you drive. When coming up to pass a truck, for example, almost everyone moves to the side of the lane the truck isnt on. When driving next to those concrete barriers that Robert A is talking about, they move to the opposite side of the lane, with their tires almost touching the lane divider.

"AP doesnt drive in the middle of the lane" is a very common complaint here, but in almost all (but not all) cases, its because the car drives in the middle of the lane, but the person doesnt (so like you experienced, the car makes them uncomfortable).

Have someone follow you and see if its actually too far left. I am betting you will find the car is in the center in the lane, but YOU dont drive in the center of the lane, especially when driving on the freeway with the solid barrier to the left. You probably hug the right side of the lane instinctively in that instance like almost everyone else does.
Well, I haven't done so, but perhaps the better way is to stop on a quiet road and measure tire to lane distances. If the car is off-center, can Tesla recalibrate it?

Well, I haven't done so, but perhaps the better way is to stop on a quiet road and measure tire to lane distances. If the car is off-center, can Tesla recalibrate it?

Not that I am aware of, no. Just have someone follow you and ask them if the car is hugging the left part of the lane. You will almost assuredly find the answer from them is "no, its in the middle".

Follow up question...

Car is currently at Tesla service for the AP issue, among other things. SA states wheels must be aligned before further diagnostic work can be performed. I've declined, but requested that tech road-test vehicle to check if AP is really biased left. SA says I need to request a "general diagnosis" and if no defect is found, I would be responsible for 30 minutes of shop time ($105).

I've never heard of potentially having to pay for a tech to road-test a vehicle for a warranty issue. I've owned BMWs for decades and never had it come up with them either. Is this normal with Tesla? The car is 6 months old.

When driving in AP, my 2021 Model 3 feels like it drives slightly left of center in the lane.
I think you nailed it. The car “feels” like it drives left of center. If you look at the visualization and side mirrors, I think you’ll find it’s actually centered in the lane. People have a tendency to adjust the lane position if there are cars in the next lane, so when the car doesn’t do that it feels strange.

The concern is not the possible left bias, per-se, but how it causes the vehicle to be uncomfortably close to any barriers or posts along the left edge of the lane when the lane veers right.

I wont use AP (FSD, which I have) in the fast lane on any freeway out here. If the freeway is wide open, the speed is normally faster than I would set AP on anyway. If its not wide open and there is traffic, I am more comfortable in the lane that trucks drive in (2nd from the right) as I find that more chill.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yup.

Here's a picture from AP driving on 280 south this afternoon. Just about right smack in the middle of the lane. The rendering seems to match as well.

AP_on_280s_paving.jpg

Note that the passing lane was recently paved and AP still tracked even without the lane markers. Now that I think about it, I should have tried switching to the passing lane.

People move all over the lane, normally, if you watch them while you drive. When coming up to pass a truck, for example, almost everyone moves to the side of the lane the truck isnt on. When driving next to those concrete barriers that Robert A is talking about, they move to the opposite side of the lane, with their tires almost touching the lane divider.

"AP doesnt drive in the middle of the lane" is a very common complaint here, but in almost all (but not all) cases, its because the car drives in the middle of the lane, but the person doesnt (so like you experienced, the car makes them uncomfortable).

The driver sits to the left which probably contributes to this feeling.

I think you nailed it. The car “feels” like it drives left of center. If you look at the visualization and side mirrors, I think you’ll find it’s actually centered in the lane. People have a tendency to adjust the lane position if there are cars in the next lane, so when the car doesn’t do that it feels strange.