TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP Braking when highway changes

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by mreynolds767, Dec 27, 2019.

1. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

While not a major issue, I would put this under more of a minor annoyance.
    Curious if an issue for others as well.

A couple of areas I routinely drive; the highway I am on changes to another highway. There really is no turn off or similar so one does not lower their speed or anything similar in these examples.
    The car if in AP at say 75 will abruptly brake to 55 which can be a problem if a car is close behind ; as there is logical reason to brake here. Has to be something in the map telling the car of a speed limit / road change or something that is causing it.

Main location is where Rt. 3 heading north ends and becomes Rt. 95 / 128 south of Boston.
    Any way to change the car's behavior in these commonly driven places?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Yeah the speed limit is based on map data. If the speed limit drops the car slows down. Worked as designed.

3. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

While it makes sense it can be a dangerous situation.
    As in this case, it is a multiple lane highway with absolutely no reason to brake ; or I should say there may be a legal reason to drive slower but in practice zero cars brake here.

Rough guess Rt. 3 is a 60 MPH zone and when it becomes 95/128 it is a 55 MPH
    If I had AP on 75 it should not go all the way down to 55 ; if it is going to reduce speed it should be to 70 (5 MPH less to match)
    That would at least not be dangerous.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

It definitely sounds as if the speed limit is charging, or you are greatly exceeding the apees limit and the speed resets.

5. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

Am positive the speed limit changes here but is a minor change.
    Goes from what is a 60 MPH or 65 MPH highway to a 55 MPH highway ; still the rate of travel/speed of the cars does not lower.
    And if I was previously exceeding the speed limit why does the change cause Telsa to reduce my speed to match the limit?

This particular area often has traffic at all hours so not always going to be affected but the way the car currently reacts here is not like any human driver would and that is my point.

6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

The speed is going to set to the new speed plus the amount specified in the settings. If you have it set to +7 and you are in a 65 going 75, and then go into a 50, then the car will slow from 75 to 55.

7. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

Ah thank you!
    I think I have that setting at 0 currently so if I change that to plus 15 that should be better for me

8. TydalForce

TydalForce Member

It's kind of a murky area; on the one hand, you >technically< shouldn't be going so fast. On the other hand, the car shouldn't suddenly decelerate when it could do so more gradually.
    You might want to do a "Bug Report" next time it happens.

9. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

I set my offset to -20 which kills the car from applying speed changes and greatly reduces phantom breaking.