Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Cameras...yet another thing to consider if not under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a warning in my MX out of the blue stating, 'Autopilot camera unavailable Features may be restored on next drive'.

I also have notifications - APP_w305 and w269 warning about the cameras and features not being available.

I am still able to use AP and NAP, but should I use it given the warnings? Is it safe if I use it because it seems to be working fine despite these warnings?

I am still under warranty but not sure if this issue will be covered because when I scheduled service, got a message that cost estimate will be sent. Saw some videos on YouTube about the true cost of owning Tesla out of warranty, kind of scary!

...Features may be restored on next drive'...

That doesn't sound as bad because it doesn't have the word "not": "Features may not be restored on next drive".

...should I use it given the warnings?...

I would. It's a supervised feature so as long as you create a continuous counter-torque on the steering at all times, you can have plenty of time to take over if the system fails.

Hi All,

You seem to be in warm weather areas...

I am in the cold 20 degrees F.
I have seen similar messages on 2020.4.1
I have noticed condensation inside the glass of the 2 pillar cameras...
When it warmed and the condensation disappeared - I no longer got the error messages.

Just a heads up to keep an eye on your pillar cameras for condensation inside of the glass...

Shawn

Reactions: Tam
I am on the latest software too, and no condensation on the pillar or any of the cameras that I could see.

Could it be that the cameras are starting to fail due to too much heat when in constant use? I am no expert at electronics, but it's just a wild guess.

If you are under warranty, you should be fine. Malfunctioning cameras are a safety issue and usually have a longer life span. Should not be considered wear and tear unless damaged by outside force. Cost estimates are always made before applicable warranties are applied. Doesn't mean you will have to pay for it.

Hi Bayx,

If AP works that would tend to mean that your forward looking cameras are OK
and delivering acceptable data to the computer...
That leaves the two pillar cameras and the two repeater cameras on your front fenders.

If you have TeslaCam activated you may wish to look at the film clips from the different
cameras to see if anything looks amiss...
This could provide additional data to Tesla to confirm the failing camera.

You should still be under warranty.
Tesla may be able to remotely look at your logs to determine which camera reported
the fault.
I believe all cameras are field replaceable if necessary...

Good luck

Shawn

Hi Bayx,

If AP works that would tend to mean that your forward looking cameras are OK
and delivering acceptable data to the computer...
That leaves the two pillar cameras and the two repeater cameras on your front fenders.

If you have TeslaCam activated you may wish to look at the film clips from the different
cameras to see if anything looks amiss...
This could provide additional data to Tesla to confirm the failing camera.

You should still be under warranty.
Tesla may be able to remotely look at your logs to determine which camera reported
the fault.
I believe all cameras are field replaceable if necessary...

Good luck

Shawn

I've had this happen before multiple times so they replaced both front pillar cameras under warranty. I was told to always file a bug report when it happens to help them find the incident in the logs.

Reporting back that NAP came back without doing anything other than keeping the car off! However, not knowing why it showed up in the first place is bit of an issue. Should I still keep my SC visit and have them replace any potentially failing cameras?

Hi Bayx,

Go to your appointment - Their equipment and reading of the logs can help identify the culprit.

In the Model S forum someone with fogging issues has the service center due to add or replace 2 parts:
APPLIQUE MS B PLR RH ASSY 1092307-00-G
APPLIQUE MS B PLR LH ASSY 1092306-00-G

Maybe these appliques are treated to reduce fogging.
I read in another thread that an internal mesh cover in the pillar was being pierced intentionally
to help the water escape...

Please keep us posted,

Shawn

Got a warning in my MX out of the blue stating, 'Autopilot camera unavailable Features may be restored on next drive'.

I also have notifications - APP_w305 and w269 warning about the cameras and features not being available.

I am still able to use AP and NAP, but should I use it given the warnings? Is it safe if I use it because it seems to be working fine despite these warnings?

I am still under warranty but not sure if this issue will be covered because when I scheduled service, got a message that cost estimate will be sent. Saw some videos on YouTube about the true cost of owning Tesla out of warranty, kind of scary!

I got the same thing, 2000 miles out of warranty. In a cold area as well. The funny thing is this car doesn't even have autopilot enabled, so I suspect it's a bug. Normally when a camera is obstructed - by condensation or otherwise it is a different message appears.

Hi All,

Message Pillar Camera Obstructed or Blinded...
Last Saturday February 29 - Bright sunshine, unlimited visibility...
Camera was obstructed on the sunny side.
Left side driving too appointment.
Right side returning from appointment.
Heat on dark colored materials vaporizing water in pillar assembly
followed by condensation on inner glass, super cooled by air flowing past pillar on Interstate...
Pillar Fog.jpg

Sorry for the dirty car.

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve