TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP can do lane keeping with no lines now?!

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by diplomat33, Dec 29, 2019.

1. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

I found these two videos on twitter showing AP driving on a back road and residential area with no lane lines. This is on AP3. It might be Early Access too. But it would make sense that Tesla has been working on lane keeping with no lane lines as part of "automatic city driving". In any case, the videos look promising for city driving.

Back road: Third Row Podcast on Twitter

Residential area: Third Row Podcast on Twitter

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. strangecosmos2

strangecosmos2 Koopa Troopa

I don't think this is totally new, actually. I recall seeing this in 2017, I think. But the problem then is the car would drive in the centre of the country road so it wouldn't leave room for an oncoming car to pass.

3. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

Ive seen my car find “lane lines” on roads with no markings and just a dirt edge .. including a deduced center line. I’ve not tried engaging AP though to see if will follow them.

• Informative x 1
  4. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

If you're on a paved road in AP, it will keep driving that way even if lane markers go away.

• Informative x 1
  5. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

Can't see twitter vids, but...
    My AP1 can do OK on unmarked roads. It can't initiate AP, but it will continue if the main markers (lines on road or leading car) go away.

6. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Right now it looks for patterns that look like lane dividers, with some logic to keep you going if the lane dividers disappear. I keep waiting for the day it starts letting me enable autosteer on the streets near me which are all undivided (but 2-way). I assume city-level NoA will officially enable this feature since it’s required.

7. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

Yes, but these videos seem to show the car staying to the right like it should and not trying to center itself.

• Like x 1