Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP can't recognize semis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not talking about the more severe issue of not recognizing a cross traffic (perpendicular) semi, i am taking about a semi moving in the same direction. It either shows up as a smaller truck or as 2 smaller trucks, especially when passing it. Feels like AP struggles to figure out what it is and either keeps moving it back and forth or sees it as 2 smaller trucks. Feels odd that Tesla couldn't figure this out. Am i missing something?

I believe, (my opinion) the display we see on screen, and what the car sees, are likely different.

Meaning, I think the cars computer sees the semi as a semi just fine.
The programming that displays it for us, needs some tweaking, that’s all.

Again, I have no way to prove this, but based on how the car reacts, and functions, it seems to recognize semi’s just fine.

I believe, (my opinion) the display we see on screen, and what the car sees, are likely different.

Meaning, I think the cars computer sees the semi as a semi just fine.
The programming that displays it for us, needs some tweaking, that’s all.

Again, I have no way to prove this, but based on how the car reacts, and functions, it seems to recognize semi’s just fine.
Well, unfortunately, recent history tends to show there is a problem with semis and Tesla AP.

As long as it recognizes that something is there it should not matter what it displays. If it's a Semi, Truck pulling a trailer, Truck pulling a car with a tow rope, as long as it boxes off that area you are ok.

The sensors are low, it's likely that AP is seeing the axles only, not reading anything in between them, and concludes that it's two separate vehicles. This could be a problem if the semi tries to merge into your lane and you're sitting between the 2 axles and AP thinks that only the vehicle in front (the first axle) is merging and does nothing.

Each camera does object detection that is independent of the others, which is why vehicles that straddle both side cameras appears as two vehicles. Semis are seen just fine by the camera system (though it is possible path prediction still sucks with them).

Reactions: Pkmmte
If you look at the YouTube videos that show what the AP system actually sees (they decode the processed NN data and overlay on the camera video), you'll quickly notice the AP system sees way more then what the car's display indicates. You should definitely not judge the AP system by what the car shows you.

In this case, I suspect the issue is the display engine only has a single size semi-truck model. Since they vary in length, the display engine has issues rendering that to you. As a result, you get a jumping semi or multiple semis. Ultimately, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the AP system thought there were two semis instead of one, it would still drive the same as it just doesn't matter (you can't drive into that regardless).

The sensors are low, it's likely that AP is seeing the axles only, not reading anything in between them, and concludes that it's two separate vehicles. This could be a problem if the semi tries to merge into your lane and you're sitting between the 2 axles and AP thinks that only the vehicle in front (the first axle) is merging and does nothing.

This makes sense. The display is different for trucks with and without the side skirts. Without the skirts, it shows 2 trucks. With the skirt, the truck display keeps jumping back and forth.

I am not as worried about what might happen if the semi makes any sudden moves but more amused that this hasn't been figured out yet. No biggie though.

A side note, AP should leave more space when passing a vehicle. I am really nervous when passing a large vehicle. Feels like there is barely any space in between. I end up taking over more often than not and it must look like a startled driver to people behind me as the car makes the sudden move when i take over.

A side note, AP should leave more space when passing a vehicle. I am really nervous when passing a large vehicle. Feels like there is barely any space in between. I end up taking over more often than not and it must look like a startled driver to people behind me as the car makes the sudden move when i take over.
Why so nervous? As long as the car can see the semi and react accordingly if it does something you should be fine. In fact I'd say that you crowding the opposite line or acting like a "startled driver" is inherently more dangerous than your car maintaining a steady position in the middle of the lane.

Why so nervous? As long as the car can see the semi and react accordingly if it does something you should be fine. In fact I'd say that you crowding the opposite line or acting like a "startled driver" is inherently more dangerous than your car maintaining a steady position in the middle of the lane.

No issues when the truck is centered but that isn't always the case. Sometimes they are too close to the line and sometimes even on or a little over or they move closer as you start to pass. That gets too close for comfort. In such case, would be good for the car to move a little to the other side provided the other side is a shoulder or empty lane of course.

I have now trained myself to cancel AP using the stalk rather than turning the wheel.

As others said, you should check out the AP vision videos online.... you'll be surprised to see our cars pretty much can see everything around us... the visualizations are only for our benefit.

I did and while the forward facing cameras are decent (still much worse than a human for what’s important to driving a car), the Model 3 can’t detect objects on its side reliably enough for it to be even a safe L2 aid.

My Porsche Macan’s blind spot detection is 100%. Yes, it doesn’t display anything fancy on a screen, but if there’s a vehicle (semi or car) in the blind spot, it *ALWAYS* lights up the LEDs in the mirror. And if there isn’t, it won’t.

My Model 3 can’t do this. It will sometimes display a semi in the adjacent lane and then it “jumps” one lane over, while the actual semi is *STILL NEXT* to my car. I didn’t test if it would warn me (=if this is a visualization problem only) or not but:

It will warn me, and display a red semi in the adjacent lane, if the semi is two lanes over. That tells me that it isn’t just a visualization problem but that the AI vision system feeds incorrect data to the autonomous driving / assistance logic.

Very safe.

I did and while the forward facing cameras are decent (still much worse than a human for what’s important to driving a car), the Model 3 can’t detect objects on its side reliably enough for it to be even a safe L2 aid.

My Porsche Macan’s blind spot detection is 100%. Yes, it doesn’t display anything fancy on a screen, but if there’s a vehicle (semi or car) in the blind spot, it *ALWAYS* lights up the LEDs in the mirror. And if there isn’t, it won’t.

My Model 3 can’t do this. It will sometimes display a semi in the adjacent lane and then it “jumps” one lane over, while the actual semi is *STILL NEXT* to my car. I didn’t test if it would warn me (=if this is a visualization problem only) or not but:

It will warn me, and display a red semi in the adjacent lane, if the semi is two lanes over. That tells me that it isn’t just a visualization problem but that the AI vision system feeds incorrect data to the autonomous driving / assistance logic.

Very safe.
If the objects in the visualization showed up red when in your blind spot (instead of the car only yelling when it thinks you are changing lanes) would that be an improvement?

It seems to be other car makers focus on making 1 feature perfect and that feature isn't really connected to anything else. Hard coded sensor and light so it always works.

Tesla focuses on making everything integrated and so far the end result is it's just okay.