Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP cone test!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I saw this video from Tesla Driver where he tests how AP reacts to cones. We can see that AP does go around cones in some cases but it crashes into cones in other instances.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I saw this video from Tesla Driver where he tests how AP reacts to cones. We can see that AP does go around cones in some cases but it crashes into cones in other instances.

It is definitely not reliable yet with respect to cones. It sees them well but is still very reactionary when it needs to act on them. In the world of aviation, I would describe it as being behind the vehicle. An attentive human (admitted many are not) sees cones/lane closure arrows/etc far in the distance and begins making plans well before arriving at them (being ahead of the vehicle). AP and NOA currently react when they arrive at the cones. Sometimes the car can react in time. Others not so much. It gets really ugly if there are vehicles in the adjacent lane blocking where the car has to go. I'm confident they'll figure this out but it ain't there yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33