Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP disengagement freak-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, about one month ago, I was sitting at a stop light and I look up to see the dash ablaze with the steering wheel nag. I tug on the wheel, doesn't stop it, then I get a forced AP disengagement (which sucks because I'm in safety score purgatory). I chalked it up to me maybe not paying attention even though I was doubtful.

This morning I'm stopped at the same light in the same lane, I'm looking straight at the dash and it happens again. No prior warning, just flashing like crazy. I shake the wheel but it does nothing. Another forced AP disengagement. 🤦‍♂️

Tomorrow would have been the day that the prior one cleared from my SS, now I have another. I think I'm done playing this game, it's just not fun anymore.

So, about one month ago, I was sitting at a stop light and I look up to see the dash ablaze with the steering wheel nag. I tug on the wheel, doesn't stop it, then I get a forced AP disengagement (which sucks because I'm in safety score purgatory). I chalked it up to me maybe not paying attention even though I was doubtful.

This morning I'm stopped at the same light in the same lane, I'm looking straight at the dash and it happens again. No prior warning, just flashing like crazy. I shake the wheel but it does nothing. Another forced AP disengagement. 🤦‍♂️

Tomorrow would have been the day that the prior one cleared from my SS, now I have another. I think I'm done playing this game, it's just not fun anymore.

I think there might be something about that traffic light and intersection that causes AP to "freak out" because it loses confidence. It's happened to me before where I am just sitting at a red light and suddenly get the "red hand on wheels" warning. In those instances, AP turned the wheels a bit before stopping at the red light, so when it goes again on green, the wheels cause the car to start turning a bit instead of going straight, which causes AP to freak out.

I think there might be something about that traffic light and intersection that causes AP to "freak out" because it loses confidence. It's happened to me before where I am just sitting at a red light and suddenly get the "red hand on wheels" warning. In those instances, AP turned the wheels a bit before stopping at the red light, so when it goes again on green, the wheels cause the car to start turning a bit instead of going straight, which causes AP to freak out.
I've seen this behavior when at a light before, but what makes these instances different is that I had at least four vehicles in front of me so I'd expect AP to pick up one of those if it can't read the lines. Even so, it never even gave me a chance to confirm or disengage, it just shut it down.

Reactions: diplomat33
This happened to me today while driving on I80 through Sacramento under ideal conditions. No matter how much I wiggled the wheel or turned the scroll wheels I still got a Forced Disengagement. I called Tesla support from the car and they looked at the logs and all they could see was an 'Autopilot Overload' shortly before and said that's usually from dirty cameras or bad conditions which did not apply to me.

I've had the car become non-responsive to wheel tugs many times. Most likely a software bug. The only solution I know available to owners is to simply disable AP (NOA, FSD beta) and reengage. Something gets reset and it clears up.

Several months/versions ago I had problems with AP putting me in timeout with no warning. It resolved after a software update so I chalked it up to a bug. It was definitely frustrating and annoying and I suspect it's even more so if you're playing the safety score game.

I don't have any magic solutions other than to wait for them to fix the bug, but if it happens again, try just tapping the stalk up to completely disengage AP rather than messing with tugging on the steering wheel.