Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Drifting Back and Forth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an issue when using AP on the highway recently after taking my car out of winter hibernation. The car just can't seem to stay centered in the lane and it keeps slowly bouncing back and forth. It does it on any highway, the lines were nice and clear on both sides. It does seem to stop or at least become less apparent when there is a barrier for the ultrasonic sensors to bounce off of. It never crosses or touches the line but it keeps swaying. If I were a cop I would think the driver was possibly drinking or texting. It's a slow drift back and forth. With AP off there is no drifting, the car tracks straight so I think the alignment isn't bad.

Before putting it away for the winter it was having some delivered paint issues taken care of and followed by PPF and ceramic coating. The day I picked it up it went into hibernation for the winter. I am fairly certain that during this time the side cameras were removed and then reinstalled, possibly multiple times, once for painting, once for PPF, which may be a factor here. Also, there have been numerous software updates while parked for the winter.

Before putting the car away for the winter, in the short amount of time I drove it AP worked fine, it was stable between the lines on the highway. No issues or complaints at that time, and I certainly would have noticed this issue.

When I first started using the car again it was on some windy days so it attributed it to that. Now that there have been a number of calm and clear days, it looks like I'm still having the issue.

It seems like a calibration issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm thinking it might be good to have AP put back into calibration mode like when it was new and then go from there if it doesn't fix it.

I wanted to post an update. I scheduled an appointment with my local service center and they contacted me a short time later, probably less than 30 minutes. They told me they are aware of this swaying issue and it came up when the last software update rolled out. I'm currently on 2019.8.5. It is effecting some but not all cars, and it is being addressed in the next software update. She told me her personal model 3 is also effected and she is very aware and understanding of my concern.

Also, I asked about the spoiler and they have been getting some in batches. She also noted that there has been, or will be, updates to their installation process which includes a urethane adhesive. I'm not entirely sure if this is in addition to the adhesive tape or in replacement of. I'm going to wait a bit before requesting an installation to let them sort out the new process.

Absolutely awesome response time from the Dedham MA service center.

Reactions: jdcollins5