TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AP - driver needs to give wide berth to cops on shoulder

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by gocargo76, Dec 10, 2016.

1. gocargo76

gocargo76 Member

Well, it may seem obvious to most, but the driver should exit AP mode when passing an emergency vehicle on highway shoulder (e.g., cop w/pulled over car).

As I was coming up to a cop w/lights-on on the shoulder, I exerted pressure on the steering wheel to nudge the car more into the left of the lane. I thought I did okay, but he cop didn't think so and pulled me over where we had a discussion about my driving. He seemed impressed that the car could drive itself and let me off with a warning - yay for me!

In order to give back to the universe, I wanted to let anyone else that does the same trick to try to move left-a-bit to just skip that and jerk the wheel or hit the brake and really move way over.

Cheers.

• Informative x 1
  2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Some states (e.g. GA) require drivers to shift over one lane when passing an emergency vehicle on the shoulder and if that isn't possible you are required to slow down to at least 20mph below the posted limit.

3. cpa

cpa Active Member

I think most states now require that driving tactic. California, where I live, and all the western states that I have visited in the past 4 years all have large signs at the border informing drivers of the move over requirements.

4. Max*

Max* Not Banned

It can't.

• Like x 4
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

instead of asking for an engineering impossibility, how would the AP recognize that the stopped vehicle is a certain kind of vehicle?, how about you be alert enough to take over control when you come upon a police car on the shoulder and take whatever actions that are necessary on your own?

6. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I don't see where the OP said that his car should handle that situation for him. He wrote "the driver should exit AP mode". It appears to me that you're in violent agreement.

(And I agree with both of you. Maintain situational awareness, and disengage autopilot if there's anything that you aren't confident it can handle!)

Bruce.