Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Dying, HW3, Yellow Border, BayArea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten the treatment for the "yellow border" issue on the MCU1 in any Bay Area service centers ?

I had my car in the Freemont about 2 wks ago and they did not have the equipment for fix that but said "I think Sunnyvale has it". A bit surprised why the nearest center to the factory does not have that tool/setup. They also said they would followup and check but as usual they always forget to do that.

Also, AP seems kaput. Has not engaged for the past week. All the vision functions are not available: AP, wipers don't auto engage, no blind spot detection, no tracking car in front, no display of cars around, no auto park, no enh summon, no sentry (sentry terminates 10 min after leaving the car like a Swiss clock), probably the emergency breaking part is not there either, and the dash cam recordings are really crappy quality with many missed frames, lots of artifacts, and random terminations of recordings which leads to a string of files of size 595 bytes. Seems like something bad has happened. Anyone had this happen ? Car recently upgraded OK to 2019.40.1.xxxxx - go figure.

I have purchased FSD and assuming to get HW3 at some point. During last visit (2wks ago) was told January '20.
But no other details.

Anyone had HW3 installed with HW 2.5 and MCU1 yet ?

When I called Tesla support and told them about the AP being essentially dead and the slew of vision things that are broken they said "I see no alerts from your car - everything is working smoothly". A bit disconcerting ...though they admitted they don't see "everything" there. Still, pretty significant part of the car is not working ... including some of the safety features.

Had the visit in the Santa Clara CC today. 60 min before the appt got an SMS saying the hardware is OK but it's a software or rather firmware issue. Claim was that it was some comm between the AP computer and the MCU. They were requesting to cancel the appointment and "work" with them to get this done via some "soon to arrive" update that will fix it. I had to press to get some reference to this issue that I could refer back to (you know the bug number) and finally they gave up something. We'll test in 1-2 weeks to see if that makes sense.

Given that AP not engaging just randomly happened a week ago and was not triggered by some software update I find this less then believable that this is a firmware issue - more likely some failing hardware that they may try and do a firmware/software workaround.

Strangely, AP started working again on a drive last Sunday - kinda mid drive the road and car visualization showed on the display and AP allowed to engage. Worked rest of drive until exit, then it was dead again. Stopped the car, for about 15 min, drove to another destination, no AP. Stopped again for some time and drove back .... AP was working. That was 2 days ago. And it worked on the drives on Monday and today.

Now, quid pro quo: AP engages but I cannot do smart summon. The app connects to the car I can blink lights, open trunk, etc. but the smart summon / summon fails to engage all the time from the phone.

I asked about the HW3 replacement was told not yet. Asked if they had done them on any MCU1 cars and was told "not yet" - the newer cars with MCU2 and HW2.5 were upgraded.

Asked about yellow borders removal - they said they have the tool but it is broken - Sunnyvale ? Their response was that Sunnyvale has it too but it was broken as well. Possible, but felt kinda like my dog ate my homework excuse ....

Fyi, it broke on my car. They had my car at santa clara for past 6 days for yellow border, and tried to do the treatment multiple times without success. Not sure if it just didn't work or the tool actually broke, but that's what they claim. Said it would take a couple weeks to get it fixed and get my car back in.