Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/FSD scared of the dark?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We get cloudy or moonless nights, and I drive highways and roads without streetlights or lighted housing nearby. When Autopilot and/or FSD Beta are active the car will often kick out warnings about cameras being broken or obstructed.

Is this just me or pretty common for driving in the dark?

Guessing it doesn't ever really get dark where the vast majority of the Tesla developers live and drive.

Haven’t had this happen because of darkness. It happens due to temperature variations between the cabin and outside air. Condensation builds, mainly inside the pillar cams, and that obstructs or blinds the camera temporarily. It usually resolves itself within a few minutes..at least around here. Biggest problem is in cold winter months but also happens occasionally in other seasons.

We get cloudy or moonless nights, and I drive highways and roads without streetlights or lighted housing nearby. When Autopilot and/or FSD Beta are active the car will often kick out warnings about cameras being broken or obstructed.

Guessing it doesn't ever really get dark where the vast majority of the Tesla developers live and drive.
I get this all the time. We live in the country where pitch black is the norm unless there's a full moon. It's highly annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: wknickless

It gets dark where I live. There are no street lamps on the roads in my neighborhood, and I'm far enough from a major urban center so there is no skyglow from light pollution. It's usually my b-pillar cameras that complain. It's never stopped FSD from continuing though.

• Informative
I live in the country too and it doesn’t do it all the time which is what I would expect if it were the dark. I can’t say 100% but I do know it happens in the daytime and it’s condensation. If it are the dark wouldn’t all the cameras freak out?

I’ve seen this; hasn’t happened recently - last time was maybe a couple FSD beta versions ago when traveling on a particularly dark freeway. The car would say that the right-hand pillar camera was obstructed, but as soon as I caught up to another car on the right side the message would go away. Happened a couple times on that stretch of road.

Last edited:

Mine behaves better at night…

I live in the country too and it doesn’t do it all the time which is what I would expect if it were the dark. I can’t say 100% but I do know it happens in the daytime and it’s condensation. If it are the dark wouldn’t all the cameras freak out?
Not all cameras are directed in the same area, and most have a light source they can see. Front cams have headlights, backup cam and repeaters have light from the tail/running lights. The cameras that I get nags about (but it doesn't disable FSD) are the pillar cams since they won't have any light source to light up part of the road.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I just posted the same concern! Didn't see this until after the fact, but yes...we are experiencing the same thing. FSD Beta not an option for us after dark. When try to initiate (although no blue steering wheel available on the screen), we get "Cabin Camera Covered" error. Hoping a solution comes along soon!

Reactions: ArthurVan
I just posted the same concern! Didn't see this until after the fact, but yes...we are experiencing the same thing. FSD Beta not an option for us after dark. When try to initiate (although no blue steering wheel available on the screen), we get "Cabin Camera Covered" error. Hoping a solution comes along soon!
Not saying this is the answer for all but I have the footwell lights (very dim) setting on all the time. Have never had a camera covered error using FSD doing all night drives.

Reactions: Dewg
New development...last night, I turned on the overhead reading lights and FSD worked! Clearly, the issue is with the cabin camera's not having enough ambient light to work at night. I have a service scheduled with Tesla, but I have shared this in the app, and I am looking forward to their reply.

Reactions: ArthurVan

My issue is very similar. I posted it here: FSD Beta not working in low light conditions

Judging by the responses you received from you post, we are not alone.

• Informative