Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP / FSD using Brake or Regen as Default?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Used AP for the first time, I am wondering, if AP needs to stop (not aggressively, just following the flow of traffic), does it default and use regen braking first or actual brakes? It feels like it's using actual brakes instead of regen as the brakes are a bit harsh.

Hi,

Used AP for the first time, I am wondering, if AP needs to stop (not aggressively, just following the flow of traffic), does it default and use regen braking first or actual brakes? It feels like it's using actual brakes instead of regen as the brakes are a bit harsh.
Both. It would do a regen first, then if that is not enough, it would do the friction. You can monitor that procedure by placing your foot under the brake pedal. If it's at night, you can see the brake lights lit up from your rearview cam during regen, then friction as well.

• Informative
Reactions: cc333
i've also wondered if the break lights in the back kick on with regen braking vs normal braking. so when you are coming to a stop at a light does it let people behind you know you are "braking".
Brake lights will come on if you are slowing down quickly with regenerative braking. You can see the brake lights come on the screen's representation of the car. If you're using regen lightly to slow down gradually, then the brake lights won't come on .

Reactions: soumak