Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody else feel that AP Gen 2 software takes a bit long to detect cars merging into the lane in front of it? I notice that in stop and go traffic, by the time the MS instrument panel displays a car merging into my lane, the car is well in my lane. I have set the following distance to 7 to increase the cushion and not have to get out of AP.

The main forward camera seems to be wide angle enough to be able to see cars in the adjacent lanes. But I think the software does not perceive objects beyond the lane lines. That would coincide with why Gen 2 does not show cars in adjacent lanes but Gen 1 (Mobileye) software can.

Thanks.

Yes. I just take over any time there's any merging activity occurring. Best case, my car just makes me look like bad driver, unwilling to let people in. Seems more likely that it's just going to run into people.
Are you talking about surface street driving where auto lane change is not supported or are you talking about freeways where auto lane change is supported? If auto lane change is supported (you see the lane markers for the adjacent lanes) and you put on the blinker you will start to see cars in the lane you are going into before you actually get there. So it "can" see the cars in the adjacent lane.

I had a P100D X loaner with AP2 and noticed this same thing. Anytime someone merged or changed lanes into my lane the car acted like it didn't see them until their car was over half way into the lane... causing it to brake very hard once it did realize someone was there and ride up on the person who is in front of me way too close. If I were a driver in another car, it appears like you're being an a-hole and trying to close the gap and not let people in... which I NEVER do.
I thought to myself if I ever get a loaner with AP again I would try it on the freeway again but this time lower the following distance to something much shorter where there really isn't enough room to get in between me and the car in front... perhaps solving this issue for all but the worst situations where someone literally cuts you off... in those cases you're going to have to take control regardless..